Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

steaks cook too fast on medium egg

I HAVE A MEDIUM EGG. I'VE TRIED TO COOK STEAKS AT 700 DEGREES LIKE MOST OF YOU ADVICE, BUT THE STEAKS SEEM TO COOK TOO FAST AT THAT TEMP. I WAS WONDERING IF THAT TEMP JUST APPLIES TO THE LAGER EGG.I COOKS EACH SIDE FOR ABOUT ONE MINUTE AND HALF.

THOMAS

·

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    thomas in atlanta, At those temperatures, if your steak is not a full 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick they will cook fast. Try shortening the time to 1 minute per side and then cap off the top and shut the lower vent for about 2 minutes.
    Leave the lower vent shut...take the top cap off, wait a minute, then traverse the dome a inch or so to avoid the dastardly flareout. Use a glove if you have one for the possibility in any case.
    Basically...time, temperature and thickness is all relative to the steak cook. If you don't want a charred exterior, try cooking at the 5 to 600F range.. It takes a bit longer, but I find little difference in taste.
    How do you like your steak...in thickness, and doneness. We can go from there..
    Makin me hungry...:-)
    C~W
    BTW... the smaller eggs are the better steak cookers!

·
  • Carl TCarl T Posts: 179
    Char-Woody,[p]Amen to that. Give me my Mini and two strips and look out.[p]Carl T

·
  • BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Carl T,
    Amen indeed. I bought my small to compensate for the time and fuel it took to get the large to 700º when I'm only doing steaks for two.

·
  • ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    BlueSmoke,
    Great...now I find these things out.
    Let's see how this flies: honey, I need a small egg to do steaks; honey, I need a medium egg to do chickens; honey, I need a mini to do a couple burgers.
    And guess what's for dinner: a pair of rib-eyes on my large!
    Did meet the 'butcher' at the local grocery and we talked BGE...think I've convinced another soul!

·
  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    thomas in atlanta,[p]I do em like that on both my medium and mini. Had a friend over the other night and he said it was one of the best steaks he'd ever eaten![p]<color= green>Smokey</color>

·
  • Shelby,
    Talked to wife about BGE. Hoping for a Big Green Christmas Present.

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Jack the Butcher,
    Welcome to the group. You have lots of good cooking in store for you, and all the help you need here. Your job wil certainly be a plus for you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·