Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Build or To Buy the Grill Extender?

Options
spbull472
spbull472 Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do I buy the Grid Extender from BGE or do I try to build my own? I see some people own the extender from BGE, but in other places I've read that people feel they're flimsy so they build their own.[p]If I was to build my own, how difficult is it and where can I find instructions on how to build it? Hopefully, it doesn't require a bunch of tools I don't have.[p]Thanks in advance,[p]STL "wishing you could have the forum auto add signatures" Scott

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    spbull472,
    3/8 threaded rod.
    18" weber grids with handles a 10" coal grate if you want to build in a drip pan/heat deflector
    nuts and fender washers
    a couple lock washers.[p]Hack saw and a couple wrenches and your off to the races.

• dhuffjr
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I should say I have the Big Green Egg one and the one I made. I use both and will continue to do so. Just depends on your mood for the day and what your cooking.

• spbull472
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]You happen to have pictures of what it's supposed to look like? I'm not a good guesser when it comes to building. :)[p]Thanks,[p]STL Scott

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    <p />spbull472,
    ive used mine for 5 or 6 years, it looked flimsy but lasted a long time. you can make your own, other options would be to set a grate on two fire bricks which works well, bge has a tiered rack system, tjv was making a ring that works well to put a rack on, sometimes he makes some real nice stuff and sells it here, then theres the grate with bolts on it that sits on the fire ring, and old daves rack setup can be made. lots of options. its good to have a couple of options handy for different cooks[p]2005204219.jpg[p]2005012055.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    spbull472,
    1 nice thing about the BGE version is that it is hinged. You can flip up one side to more easily get at the bottom grid.

• spbull472
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Where do people typically find fire bricks?[p]STL Scott

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    spbull472,
    I built this one. 14" Weber grid, 3 stainless legs made from 4" carriage bolts, heads down to form feet.

BGETwosplitchickens07010.jpg

• spbull472
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Hey thanks for that! That looks like I can even make it![p]Thanks,[p]STL Scott

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    IMG_1451.jpg
    <p />edbro,
    yes, and they also can go in the dish washer. I think the BGE extender gets a bum wrap when people say they are flimsy. If you'll just hook the legs and stretch it tight it is very strong!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    spbull472,
    That is pretty much the look you going for. I made Old Dave's rig which is two of those webber girds with the handles and I put a 10" grid below it that I cover with foil for indirect cooking. The 10" grid is bolted to the bottom grid. The top grid sits on that one on the legs I made from the threaded rod. I don't have any pictures but will see about taking some this afternoon.

• fishlessman
    Options
    spbull472,
    i got mine at a local brickyard, any masonry place that builds fireplaces should carry them, we line industrial boilers with them so a local boiler shop might also have them. first pic is soft refractory brick which can be cut with a hand saw, the other two are hard firebricks, second pic is splits which are the ones you would want, last is pieces broken with a chisel

fukahwee maine

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    spbull472,
    Instead of threaded rod, use (3) 4.1/2" carriage bolts
    08-22.jpg
    just assemble nuts, washers and bolts. I sit this directly on top of the BGE grate. Turn the nuts the right way and they fit perfectly into the spaces on the BGE grate.[p]I think TNW has instructions on his website.

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    RRP,
    I had my BGE grate extender for about 2 years before I had the revelation to hook the feet into the lower grid. I believe this was after seeing a picture you posted. Works much better this way.
    Thanks, Bob

• RRP
    Options
    bobbyb,
    good! I remember years back someone damning the extender because a pot of beans oe something spilled in his egg when the extender collapsed. When I aked how that could be and if he hooked and stretched it a sheepish reply came back "no".

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]From whence does the 14" Weber grid come? I got a Weber charcoal grate that I use to hold my firebricks and drip pan for indirect, but I wouldn't put food on it....I'd love to get something to go above my current cooking grate -- i.e., above the opening in the Egg.[p]Matt
  • Unknown
    Options
    ClayQ, Great! I bought a bge one. Was disappointed. First time I cleaned it, used one of those green scrubbers, the finish came off! Copper color underneath. I have some square porcelain grids off of a Thermos gasser I might try to engineer something from. I love ingenious makeshift deals that turn out better than anything commercial. This last cook, I put my bge grid in the dishwasher on top of the rest of the dishes and all I had to do was wipe it down with a clean rag. Have a blessed day. ern
  • Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman, Didja get my thanks for mojo recipi? Thanx!! Anyhoo, watcha cookin in the first pic? ern

• fishlessman
    Options
    ern,
    yep, thats a good recipe, wdan desnt post much, but his recipes are really good. the first pic is gfw's river city jerkey and squaw candy which is a very sweet salmon jerky.

fukahwee maine

• Whitetail
    Whitetail Posts: 76
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Threaded rod allows more flexibility. I use 8-inch pieces of threaded rod. Most of the time I keep my raised grid 5 inches above the regular grid but I can go up or down just by turning the nuts.[p]I hope stump doesn’t read that.

• Whitetail
    Options
    RRP,
    I have that grid but it just isn’t “raised’ enough. I like to be a full 5 inches over the main grid.

• spbull472
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Did you use Galvanized or Zinc Coated Bolts? Those are the only two options I saw at Home Depot.[p]Thanks,[p]STL Scott

• Clay Q
    Options
    spbull472,
    Hardware is stainless; bolts, nuts and washers. The Weber grid is nickel plated. Everything food safe.
    Try True Value or Ace hardware stores.

• RRP
    Options
    Whitetail,
    just out of cursoity - why 5"? What exactly are you atempting to do? It doesn't have something to do with pizza does it?

• Clay Q
    Options
    Matt,
    The grid is whence forth; Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill. True Value hardware sells them as replacement parts.

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks, ClayQ -- I'm not such a smart guy. I own a Smokey Joe and it never even occurred to me....[p]Matt
  • Clay Q
    Options
    ern,
    If you scrub hard enough the plating will come off the Weber grid also. A fine brass brush, soap, warm water, and towel drying will get things clean enough for me.

• Whitetail
    Options
    RRP,
    Nope. Probably 75% of my Egg use is grilling. When grilling, with the exception of steaks I like cook hot without searing. I cook boneless skinless chicken breasts, salmon, swordfish, pork loin chops, you name it at about 450. The very raised grid is much easier to control and keeps the food from searing. The high heat cooking allows me to get these non-fatty cooks on and off the grill quickly, which makes for juicier finished product. [p]It’s along the same lines of the way fishlessman always talks about getting his cook as far away from the coals as possible.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    spbull472,
    The right stainless steel parts were very hard to come buy, even in a city with over 1 million people. None of the usual hardware sources had them all. I found just what I needed at marine supply stores--in fact, more sizes of everything than I could have used. [p]I made raised grids for both the Small and Large using Old Dave's directions and use them constantly!

Judy in San Diego
  • spbull472
    Options
    So I just discovered there is a different forum version where you do actually log in.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php

vs the BGE link to

http://www.greeneggers.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

All those posts not counted! Anyway, I digress.

Thanks for the heads up, the hunt will begin Friday for stainless steel components. Would do it today, but my company has decided to send me California for meetings tomorrow. Yippeee!
  • Whitetail
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    I got all my SS parts at smallparts.com