Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Moldy BGE

GordyGordy Posts: 49
edited 10:54PM in EggHead Forum
The Sea Bass had been marinating overnight, two large fillets. My son had a test in Karate for his next belt so I had to get Humpty ready to go as we would be eating late. I haven't used my first large BGE much this summer as #2 is at our lake place where we spend as much time as possible. I open him up and there's a fuzzy green stuff everywhere, is this common? Obviously moisture is present, I clean the grate, take out the top ring, hose it off, remove the ceramic grate and remove all damp lump, ash etc. Load it up with fresh lump and start her up, let it heat to around 500 while we are at Karate, wife closes her down just before we get home, cook the Sea Bass (marinated in Italian dressing and light Soy Sauce) and scarfed - the fish was awesome, light and flaky, the kids loved it too. One of the best meals I've cooked to date. I figured just washing with water and heating it up good and hot for an hour is enough - comments please.

Comments

  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Gordy,[p]Sounds like as good a way as any (other than using it more so it DOESNT mold up on you) to get the egg clean. Obvious advice or caution but I'll say it anyway. Be extremely careful of putting water on or "spritzing" a hot egg as the thermal shock could damage the ceramic.[p]I've heard it mentioned a few times here on the forum that the egg has become moldy with an extended period of non-use. Cant say if its common or not but have heard the comment a few times. Makes sense, water and any form of bacteria food will cause things to mold up.[p]Troy
  • bdavidsonbdavidson Posts: 411
    Gordy,
    You done good.

  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    beachegg1.jpg
    <p />Gordy,[p]I know what your saying! My large Egg is close to the Atlantic and the humidity is bad. To get rid of mold - just fire the Egg up to 300-500deg for 20-30 min and brush it down. To avoid it in the future, avoid removing the food and just closing up the Egg. Rather, close the bottom vent to about 1/2" -1" and leave the daisy top open 1/3. This should hold 250-300. Just come back after diner and close it up. The extra time sort of "self cleans" itself and dries it out.[p]Tim
  • Trout BumTrout Bum Posts: 343
    Gordy,
    Not to worry. Fire her up and take her up to 600-700 or so for about 1/2 hour and all will be well.
    B D

  • Tim M,[p]oh man your kill'n me. I discovered the egg at a friends beach house in Maine... it took me an hour or so to figure out how to fire it up but I've been in love ever since... just spent two weeks at a nice beach house south of Boston and was forced to use a gas grill :( ... think'n hard about the mini. Thanks for sharing the pic![p]cheers,[p]DanG

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.