Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice on Cherry Wood chunks???

Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i was thinking about getting a big box (35 pounds) of cherry wood chunks from a website for about $80. but i've never used cherry wood before.[p]i know, i should probably get a smaller amount to try it out. but i've heard it's a terrific wood for smoking things like pork ribs, and chicken. (heard it makes food nice and dark too!)[p]but then, on another website, somebody mentioned that cherry wood can be too acrid, almost like the way many people describe an excess of mesquite wood.[p]anyone got any experience with cherry wood? does it make food too bitter tasting? does it impart a nice flavor? does it really darken foods, like a whole chicken? [p]thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Midnight Smoker,
    i mix it with hickory guava and sometimes pecan. i dont notice an acrid flavor, but ive heard that mentioned before. it does darken up poultry. i use more cherry wood than any of the others

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Midnight Smoker,
    If I was able to use only one type of wood cherry would be that wood.
    I think if you add to much of any wood you can get adverse smoke flavors. 35 pounds will last you a good while.
    I ordered my last batch from Cabela's. The price was good and shipping was not a stab in the back.
    I ordered 3 bags and the quality was good.
    I like the flavor and the color.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    bacon2.jpg
    <p />Midnight Smoker,
    I buy it by the 2600 cubic inch box. Don't know how many lbs. I mix cherry and apple for ribs. Make some smoked cherry wood bacon.
    The people I buy from can usually mix a box half and half. See if they can do that and buy some apple, sugar maple, or pecan.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Chigger Creek[/ul]
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Midnight Smoker,
    Cherry is my favorite. A couple of years ago, fishlessman gave me some cherry chunks and since then, I've been trimming, cutting, and aging chunks from my own trees. I'd say it's a middle of the road smoking wood. Not as strong as mesquite or hickory but more robust than pecan. Yes, it seems to give a nice mahogany color to chicken. My thought is that any acrid flavor may come from wood that's still a little green or from putting food on too soon after adding the chunks.
    Paul

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    6fc6c1a8.jpg
    <p />Midnight Smoker,[p]Cherry is quite possibly my favorite wood. I have used it for many years and have not experienced any harsh flavors from it. It is, after all one of the fruitwoods.[p]As far as color goes, yes it does impart a nice color to your meats. As you can see, cherry wood is darker than apple (far left) or peach (center).[p]DSC03116a.jpg[p]The pork steaks above were smoked with cherry as were thsse pork shanks, neck bones and I'm 75% sure those thighs were cherry smoked too.[p]30724c98.jpg[p]af041081.jpg[p]06def4d1.jpg[p]
    This salmon was started with alder and finished with cherry.
    fe687265.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Hey man that bacon looks awesome. Are you using any particular type of bacon? How long and at what temp are you cooking that bacon at? If I can tell from the picture, you are doing a direct heat but with a drop pan under the bacon (to reduce flare up I guess or you just love bacon grease). :)[p]Thanks,[p]STL Scott
  • Car Wash Mike
    Scott,
    Thanks.
    That is to reduce flare ups. 350. No particular type. Let the bacon set out awhile so it is easier to work with. This cook has a ton of smoke coming at you. Also, it is like beef jerky and pig candy. No matter how much you cook, there isn't enough.[p]Mike

• spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Alright, I'll admit my noobery and that I can be a little slow at times. Explain to me what you mean by "Let the bacon set out awhile so it is easier to work with."[p]Are you talking while its raw, before it goes on...just let it sit on tray?

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Midnight Smoker,[p]Cherry is also my favorite smoking wood at this point.[p]In our line of Smoking Woods, cherry is pushing Apple for the top spot in the last few months as well.[p]Shipping wood does get expensive, if you find a good resource close by you got it made.[p]

[ul][li]Santa Clara Valley Smoking Woods[/ul]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Car Wash Mike
    spbull472,
    Room temp vrs. fridge temp. You will do alright. Room, easier to work with, HTH.[p]Mike

• just curious where you get your peach wood from maybe its chigger creek i havent looked at there web site yet :):)awesome food pics
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    JASON Upton ,[p]Rocky Richmond sent me some to try out. So far I've only used it on lamb and chicken. 50# boxes is the best deal.....$50 for logs, $75 for chunks. Shipping is the killer, he lives in NC, I'm in WY.[p]~thirdeye~
    [ul][li]BDS Wood[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Midnight Smoker,
    Cherry is good, Apple is good too. The only thing I've noticed a harsh flavor to is too much hickory. [p]Too much smoke in general is a recipe for bad taste too.[p]H

• Bahmanicious
    Bahmanicious Posts: 105
    Cherry has become one of my favorite smoking woods. Recently did some back bacon with about 2/3 cherry 1/3 sweet maple and it was awesome. I have an order for cherry chunks enroute at the moment from smokinlicious.com. Their prices INCLUDE shipping. Don't have any association with them, just a happy customer.
    Best,
    WA

www.smokinlicious.com