Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt in process - am I going to make it?

Options
db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
deadline on when it needs to be done - dome temp at 260 +/- a bit - internal meat temp at 179 - how much more time do you think until it reaches 195 or so? At what temp can I pull it if I am forced without ruining it? Thanks!!!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    DB,[p]The plateau usually ends about 180, which is the temperature at which the collagen converts to gellatin. It depends on how much there is to convert and the overall size. Once it starts climbing, it will go pretty quick.[p]Its probably already really good, just not falling to pieces. So any more time you can give it will just make it better. Give it an hour or two in foil and towel wrapped for it to cool to keep moisture from steaming away as you pull.[p]gdenby

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    DB,[p]I think it will have to be close to 195 or it won't pull.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    DB,
    i've taken it off the grill in a hurry at 185 and it pulled well enough. wasn't "top notch", but no one else eating it noticed it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    DB,
    wrap it in foil and bring the dome temp up to 300 plus and it will be done sooner. you could even bring it up to 300 without foil if you like a heavier bark, something i prefer.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it