Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

awesome grouper

Options
GaDawg
GaDawg Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For Sunday supper, I bought 2 lbs of "prime cut
yellow edge grouper" for the low price of $18/lb.
Anyway, I dusted it with old bay, sprayed it with
olive oil and egged at 500 degrees for a few minutes
per side till done. The results were fantastic.
A little pricey, but a very nice treat.[p]Chuck

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    GaDawg,[p]Grouper is one of my favorite saltwater fish to eat, wonderful texture and very mild flavor.[p]Funny you should mention $18/pound. My parents own a fishing boat in FL and we fish on it a lot during the summertimes. Some days we do well, some days we don't, some days it rains. Anyway, we see the price of the fish in the store, even locally in FL, and are just amazed sometimes but then we start to calculate what it actually COSTS us to go fishing, on a per pound basis. By the time you calculate in the cost of the boat, the cost of the dock rental, the cost of insurance and gas, etc etc etc etc. we figured conservatively, that even on a GOOD day, we are paying about $400/pound for the fish we catch.[p]I guess its like they say, if you have to ask how much it costs you cant afford it. We do have fun though.[p]I'd say at $18/pound you got a pretty good deal.[p]Troy
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    sprinter,[p] I have a feeling many hobbies are that way. I shudder to think what each decent underwater picture I take costs me once I figure in cost of SCUBA gear, cost of plane tickets, cost of dive boats, cost of cameras, cost of waterproof boxes to put cameras in, cost of underwater strobes, film, developing, etc. Then coming home and finding about 5 pictures from ta whole trip that are almost good! Eek![p]MikeO
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    GaDawg, $18 per pound. Sounds like a bargin for good seafood. I just ordered 5 lbs. of Mahi Mahi at $15 per pound. Whole beef tenderloin and Mahi Mahi for the holiday. Grouper will be next months treat.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    sprinter, I think you are from the St. Louis area. How about crappie fishing. Those fillets are just about as expensive.[p]CWM
  • Jim Benenson
    Options
    GaDawg,[p]That's the nice thing about Egging. Once you're over the sticker shock, it's a pretty cheap, good tastin' hobby.[p]Jim

• GaDawg
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    It does take a lot of crappie to amortize the $30,000
    bass boat, doesn't it?
    Chuck

• GaDawg
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,
    You're right, once you taste the food, you really can't
    recall the expense too well.
    Chuck

• GaDawg,
    Just curious, but how thick was the filet and about how many mins per side did you do it at?[p]I love grouper, but at that price I'd hate to screw one up.[p]Thanks for the info,
    Richard