Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT ??????

Rick G
Rick G Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
on a raised grid with a plate setter what is the temp I need and how long to cook them???

Comments

• Rick G,[p]
    i do mine @ 350 for about an hour.. till the bacon is nice and crispy, might need to rotate the grate once in a while if you see some getting cooked faster than others

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Rick G,
    Here is a great tutorial.[p]Poppers, Jalapeños, Atomic Buffalo Turds, Egret

This is the most basic version of the famous ABT’s. Several people asked me about the ABT’s I prepared at the Florida Eggfest '06, so I’ll tell you how I do these and offer a few hints:
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    12 Jalapeños, Fresh, 3-3 1/2 inches each
    1 8 Ozs. Cream Cheese
    12 Oz Bacon, Regular Sliced, NOT Thick Sliced
    1 Pkg. Smoked Cocktail Wieners, Lil' Smokeys
    Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express Rub

Preparation:
    1 Wash, remove stems and halve jalapeños lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeño off to remove the stem. If the jalapeños are pretty fresh. you can pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).
    2 Fill jalapeño halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure the loose end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    3 Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the bacon. Place ABT's on a rack over a drip pan.
    *********Cooking Directions*********
    1 Stabilize BGE at 350°F. Place drip pan and rack of ABT's on a raised grid and cook for about 40 minutes. Turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
    **********OPTIONAL*********
    1 Add apple, oak or hickory chunks to fire before placing ABT's in the BGE bit of smoke, (I don’t consider this to be an option, but rather mandatory. These can take a good bit of smoke, so 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks isn’t too much).
    **********HINTS*********
    FIRST:
    1 Getting the right size jalapeño is important. You want it long enough for the smokey to fit but not too long so you don't get a piece of the smokey in all pieces you cut. I cut mine in 3 pieces which makes good size finger snacks.
    SECOND:
    1 Use only the thin cut bacon. I get the cheapest bacon I can find for these.
    THIRD:
    1 I wrap the bacon starting from the pointed end of the jalapeño. Lay the bacon on the starting point and stick a toothpick in just enough to hold the bacon (not all the way through). Wrap the bacon around the entire jalapeño without overlapping too much. If you get to the end and you have excess bacon, it's best to cut it off so you don't have overlapping. Stick a second toothpick all the way through the jalapeño at the end point. Now, stick the first toothpick (at the starting point) all the way through as well. Stick a third toothpick all the way through at the center of the jalapeño. This third toothpick is important not just for a handle but it holds the smoky in place while you cut the ABT into thirds.
    FOURTH:
    1 I put the DP Red Eye Express on as heavy as I possibly can. Cover the entire thing with as much as it will hold. I sprinkle this on over a paper towel laid flat, and, when I'm done I funnel the unused rub back into the jar. It goes much faster this way as opposed to trying to be real neat.
    LASTLY:
    1 I've found that a teaspoon works best to remove the seeds and veins from the jalapeños. I'd advise you to use a drip pan so the bacon drippings don't go onto the coals. This creates a lot of foul-smelling smoke that will adversely affect the taste of the ABT's.
    2 This is a lot of words, but it's really pretty simple. I've made hundreds and hundreds of these using this method. I’ve tried different rubs as well, but I believe the Red Eye Express is the perfect "fit" for these sensational snacks.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall (egret)[p]Source: Florida Eggfest '06, Egret

[p]

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Rick G,
    350 raised is right for about 30-45 min depending on how often you have to "look" at them
    DSCN0038.jpg
    have a few "grilled" beers also
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Rick G,[p]Thanks to all. I thought that was the time and temp I had read about.