Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the outside of my BGE

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my BGE almost two years and love it. But there seems to be
a lot of black stuff accumulating on the back side of the dome top. I suspect it is due to the way I kick back the solid lid during part of the cooking process. I thought I could just wipe the stuff off. Not! In fact, I don't think it will come off with a hammer and chisel. I think it gives my BGE that well used (and much appreciated) look but I would like to clean it up a bit from time to time. Any suggestions.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spring Chicken, I am experimenting with Zap, a cleaning agent, and so far its worked well.. A quick easy method also is with some hot water and Brillo fine steel wool pads with the pink solvents in them. They take a bit of elbow grease, but you will work it off. Same for the Zap cleaner. Zap comes in a spray bottle and you need to do it outdoors or with windows open..wear gloves.
    Not to worry about scratching the glaze on the egg..It worked well for me..and it shines like a new one..5 years running amd cooking time.
    Good luck..
    C~W
    BTW..keep bucket of hot rinse water handy to rinse off the dome periodically while cleaning and keep it closed during the cleaning. [p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I may have a bottle of relic cleaner here, but years ago I purchased a 16 oz bottle of Rutland brand concentrate Brick & Stone Cleaner to use on some soot spots around my fireplace. I'm not sure if they even still make it anymore, but then I have had no need to go look for more. (Me thinks I have a lifetime supply.)
    I simply spray it on the "runs" on my eggs and they wipe off even easily even after being cooked on. The bottle label says:
    "A concentrated formula for hard to remove baked-on soot and cresote deposits on brick and stone fireplaces. The formula for the really tough problem cleaning jobs."
    All I know is it works!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    RRP, Good idea. Never thought of that. Thanks

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Char-Woody, Thanks for the Zap tip. I tried some very fine steel wool but I didn't want to ruin the glaze so I stopped. With some extra effort perhaps I would have cut through it. Pretty tough stuff. Maybe they need to use it on the bottom of ships instead of paint. Thanks again.

• Spring Chicken, you won't hurt it, even with brillo pads..I have used both on my large. The Zap comes with two strength's of cleaner..And abrasive pads for applying it.
    Good luck.
    C~W[p]