Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib rub question

HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make my own rub for ribs. I need some ingedient question help. I want a dry rub that I can lay on kinda heavy. A little heat spice to it and not to salty. Any advise please.

Comments

• 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    HungryMan,
    When I make rubs I usually balance the salts & sugars. If you put 1/2 cup of salt, then put in 1/2 cup of sugar. Keep in mind there are all kinds of salts, (garlic salt, onion salt, sea salt, etc) & sugars, (white sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, etc), you can mix up to accomplish this. Also, there's an awful lot of good rubs out there that don't go by this rule. Next I chunk in some paprika, pepper, and chili powder. Then add small doses of whatever I feel like, cayenne, thyme, dry mustard, garlic powder, etc. and mix it up good. Then I taste it. If it don't taste good then, it will not taste good later. After a taste test, I adjust whatever I want, heat, sweet, or whatever. Hope this helps to give you something to start with.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    HungryMan,[p]I saved a whole bunch of rub recipes, put them in a databse, and sorted them on amounts of ingredients. Essentially, they're usually 2/3 salt and sugar, with the proportions more salt or sugar depending on the temperature for cooking the meat. Low temp cooks can have more sugar, somewhat higher have a bit more salt. After that, there's pepper, onion and garlic. Included in the pepper category are black pepper, and all sorts of capsicums, cayenne, paprika, and various chilis. Then there's a bunch of ingredients that come in in small quantities, cinnamon, all-spice, mustard, nutmeg, thyme, oregano, little bits or lemon or lime zest, etc. etc.[p]I keep a base rub around that is 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup turbinado sugar, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp hot paprika, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1/2 tsp mustard powder. Then I add touches of all sorts of other stuff depending on the meat. I like lots of black pepper and dill with beef. With pork I like nutmeg, allspice, cinammon, and a bit more sugar. With fowl, I add more herbs, like thyme, oregano, sage, and also ginger.[p]Have fun,
    gdenby

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    gdenby,
    That rub of yours sounds mighty good. I make my own, too, using the "match salt and sugar amounts" guideline.[p]Oh, "put them in a databse, and sorted them on amounts of ingredients" - I've posted stuff like this, and been told "you need to get a life"! Ignore that, the BGE forum is for guys just like us.[p]Happy Eggin'
    Chuck

• Richard
    chuckls,[p]Sounds like fun. What kind of data base you using to sort?
    I tried excel a few years back, but do not know how to use it except to make columns and rows with data, but not sort average etc.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Richard,
    Actually, I posted a series of photos featuring "Wicked Good Charcoal" (which isn't available anymore). After making that post, I got the "get a life" comments. Rolled right off my back![p]Here's the link to the original post.[p]Oh, and so far as database goes, I use Sybase ASA Anywhere, and lately SQL Server, but that takes a lot of coding and hey, being on the BGE forum is not the same as my contract job, being a code monkey![p]:)[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Fond Memories of Wicked Good Charcoal [/ul]
  • Richard
    chuckls,
    Life is a "B****" without a good source of Wicked Good Comp. Fortunately I still have a few hundred pounds from a steal/closeout here in Florida in the summer of '04 or '05.
    Got about 50 lbs of Kamado Extruded that is hoarded also.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01567a.jpg
    <p />chuckls,[p]Heheee. That's a good one. [p]Someone (on another forum) said that about my Groundhog Day post. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    chuckls,
    Just saw your web page on your posting...OK..What were you drinking???...got any left?.. lol.