Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Shoulder Questions

David B.
David B. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks,[p]First, thanks for the help with Cat's Baby Backs, they were delicious! I am picking up a whole pork shoulder tonight after work, and need to know about cooking times. I plan on going with a rub and then cook direct at about 250. I assume the times would be the same as for a butt, i.e. 2 to 2.5 hours per pound, does that sound about right? Any specific tips on going direct? I have only done indirect with butts, but I doubt any of my racks or pans are big enough for a whole shoulder. BTW, I was able to pick this up with one phone call, thanks to having a real meat market in my town. Good reason to support your local meat market, if you ask me.[p]David B.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    David B., do your shoulder the same as you did the butts. It should all work out about the same..1.75 to 2 hours per lb. @ 250F..How big is it..?? I did 13 lbs the other day with no problem..I prefer indirect with drip pan(s)
    C~W[p]

• David B.
    David B. Posts: 24
    Char-Woody,
    It's a pretty small shoulder, only 10 lbs. It actually goes all the way to the back, so it's a little of everything. I wanted to try direct because it's still got the skin on, and it would be like a mini pig roast right inside my egg. It's rubbed and in the fridge now, it'll go on the egg at about 8:30ish tonight, for a pot-luck at 6:00 pm tomorrow.[p]David B.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    David B., o.k...some do em skin on, most carve it off, but you can slit the skin in multple cuts (cross hatch?) and allow the rubs to penetrate deeper into the meats..Also slices of galic and fresh ground peppercorn are good too. If your cooking with skin on, probably no need to use a mustard rub. Your BGE if a large should handle the roast easily..I suggest to do it like a Pulled Pork recipe..low and slow.
    You will see a plateau where it seems the thermomoter is stuck (Polder remote thermometer) at 160 to 170F..Once the callogens have broken down sufficiently, the thermometer will take of and your close to a finish. 195 to 200F in the thickest portion of the meat away from a bone will be a target to shoot for.
    Good luck..