Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Pastrami...we'll see...

BahmaniciousBahmanicious Posts: 105
edited 6:42PM in EggHead Forum
Soaked a store bought corned beef brisket ~2.75 lbs 30 hours. Put down in the pepper/coriander rub (from Thirdeye) for 24 hours. Put on last night about 8PM once the egg stablized at 275 dome.

At 11:30 the meat hit 160 and stayed there until I pulled it at 12:30 AM. I needed to get to bed and I knew I wouldn't hear the alarm on the thermometer, so rather than risk burning it up, I pulled it early, wrapped in HD foil and popped into the fridge.

Will slice it tonight and report. The other mistake I made was not scoring the meat crossgrain so I would know which direction to slice. Anyway, will use the food slicer set super thin and see how it turns out. Hopefully, it won't be too chewy. :S
Best,
WA

Comments

• BahmaniciousBahmanicious Posts: 105
    When sliced by hand to a thickness of ~1/8 inch, it's a little chewy. Great flavor though! Sliced paper thin with the food slicer is another story. Very tasty! I'm not sure I could get it deli thin if it had been cooked to 170-180.

I'm also not sure it would stand up to the pastrami from Little John's New York Deli in Charlottesville, Virginia (that pastrami seems to be all point with very little fat trimmed), but I am quite pleased with my feeble first effort. I certainly couldn't have done it without the help of Thirdeye's link on his blog. Thanks!
    WA