Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoke rings

GeoMGeoM Posts: 7
edited 2:26AM in EggHead Forum
I need some advice regarding how to obtain a nice pink smoke ring on my baby backs. I've had them come out that way before but the last few cooks my ribs have come out a very grey/brown. I've been cooking indirect at 250* for about 5-6 hrs to an internal temp of 190*. I use hickory chunks for the first 2-3 hrs of the cook. What's the key?
·

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    GeoM, a cold surface will help to induce a quicker smoke ring..Gosh there are quite a few varibles to work with. You say hickory chunks for the first 2 to 3 hours? My chunks are buried in the charcoal..so they usually turn into charcoal in 2 to 3 hours into the cook. There could be a long thread on this one on the pro's and con's of rib preparations.
    Good luck on the next ones...The quest is the fun part and so is the eats..
    C~W

·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    GeoM,
    I find that in going indirect, if I put the soaked chips/chunks on as soon as the coals are going good and then put the ribs on right away, I get a good smoke ring. The dome temp when I initially close it up is about 160-180F. I then let the temp rise slowly over an hour or hour and a half to my target temp (which for me doing ribs indirect is about 325F).
    JimW

·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    ribs4eat.jpg
    <p />GeoM:[p]I think the best smoke rings are the result of direct cooks with cold ribs on a preheated ceramic cooker.

·
  • JethroJethro Posts: 495
    djm5x9,[p]Those are some beauties.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    djm5x9, thats cheatin, those are presentation ribs for a BBQ contest..:-) Cut that out now, ya hear..(Kiddin ya)
    C~W[p]

·
  • JMJM Posts: 39
    GeoM,
    Hey Bro -
    I think I'd go have dinner over djm5x9. That pic of those rib look mighty fine.
    Call me when you get a chance.
    JM

·
  • GeoM,[p]I had some tremendous smoke rings last week. I did my ribs indirect. First I brought the temp up to 275 to 300 and scattered 5 small chunks of soaked hickory among the hot coals. The wet chunks helped drop the temp down to 200. I then slapped my ribs on and it smoked like hell for several hours. I cook mine at 250. I might use 3 chunks next time around, they were really strong.[p]CC

·
  • KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    djm5x9,[p]Damn fine looking ribs! I may have to use this as wallpaper, but I won't take credit for the cook.. trust me.[p]K~G

·
  • djm5x9,[p]Those are some fine looking ribs...now I'm really hungry![p]What recipe did you use to cook those beauties?
    ·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Frank:[p]Those ribs were done with Shakes or just plain old Lawry's.

·