Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Big Weekend...Chef RD's Wings...Tomatoes...Beets...Mussels

GretlGretl Posts: 670
edited 6:48AM in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I egged myself nearly to death this weekend! Started out with a big double batch of Chef RD's Wings on Saturday. They are GREAT. Dan's asking for them frequently, so I thought I'd get a leg-up and make enough to freeze some. But, you guessed it...they're GONE. Thanks, Chef RD, for the great recipe![p]Sunday's marathon...I sliced the tomatoes that I mentioned on Friday's post and made a three-tier contraption with some foil-wrapped beets sitting on a couple of firebricks, and two pizza pans of quarter-inch tomato slices stacked above that. I had to dismantle it after about an hour and a half to remove the beets. I left the tomatoes in until they were "leathery" in texture; the Egg was about 250-275. I have them in ziplock bags in the freezer. They're very tasty; nice and smoky and very richly flavored. These will be a good addition to soups, dressings, and anything else that needs a tomato kick. I recommend using up any ripe Roma tomatoes in this way.[p]Now...the mussels. I cleaned a two-pound bag of mussels and spread them on one layer in a pan to which I added about a half-cup (well, maybe a little more) of white wine. Enough that I was pretty sure wouldn't burn dry. I cranked the Egg up to about 375 and put the pan on the firebricks. It took perhaps a half an hour, which was a half-hour from Hell...the sky opened up and there was a deluge. A frog-strangler. There was no way I was checking Humpty without goggles and swim-fins. When the mayhem died down, I ventured forth with my umbrella and potholders and brought in a tray of the best-tasting mussels we ever had! They were juicy and tender, completely cooked through, and just smoky enough to be real interesting. Give this one a try, folks. It's just TOO easy and absolutely wonderful if you're a mussel fan. By the way, the juice was good, too. Next time I'll add couple of branches of fresh thyme and maybe a little hot pepper. But it can't be much of an improvement, because this was just great! Humpty came through like a trooper, as usual.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

·

Comments

• char buddychar buddy Posts: 562
    Gretl,[p]Frog strangler. That's a new one to me.
    The mussles sound fantastic. Would clams work the same way?[p]

·
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    char buddy ,
    I don't see why not. They'd be great!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

·
  • JethroJethro Posts: 495
    Gretl,[p]I'll be tryin' your mussel recipe, it sounds wonderfull. Can I take credit for gettin you thinkin about mussels on the Green One?[p]Way to Go!
    Jethro

·
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    Jethro,
    Well, yes...sort of. I had originally (like about a year or more ago!) thought about smoking mussels, because the oysters turned out so well. Then I was distracted...you know, life got in the way. When I saw your post about mussels, it just gave me that much-needed boot in the rear. Yay! So many ideas, so little time....[p]Thanks! Please, by all means, take all the credit you want. I'll tip a glass of something cold in your general direction tonight![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

·
  • JethroJethro Posts: 495
    Gretl,[p]Thanks for the tippin' at me. That is something I've been neglecting (ST and Cornfed - don't hate me for this oversight) maybe I can tip a cold one back in your direction tonight.[p]Thanks for coming up with the cook method - it should be a winner.[p]Silly Jethro questions - when you say in a pan, was this a frying pan or more like a pot and with or without lid on?[p]I assume they were left in shell to cook, correct?[p]Thanx,
    Jethro[p]

·