Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

miso glazed salmon--cook direct or indirect?

BirdmanBirdman Posts: 66
edited 1:30AM in EggHead Forum
I have a recipe for miso glazed salmon. It says to grill a 1 1/2 pound salmon filet, skin side down, for 10-12 minutes. Would you cook this directly, or indirectly?[p]Thanks in advance.
·

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,341
    misosalmon.jpg
    <p />birdman,
    Direct over the coals is the way I cooked it...you want good crusting. I cut my filet into thick strips, which gave more surface area for crusting, and made flipping much easier. [p]When you flip after a few minutes, if it is not well-browned then you need hotter coals. Yum.
    Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • birdman,[p]I personally am not a fish expert but would say that the 10 -12 minute cooktime is indicative of high temps for searing therefore a direct cook method would be the way to go. Also the term "grilling" pretty much always means direct as far as my knowledge goes.

·
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    Nature Boy,
    You definitely get the prize for gorgeous food pix. Now I've gone from merely very hungry to RAVENOUS.
    Have a great weekend.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

·
    TJ,
    Killer deductions!!
    Have a great weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
    Gretl,
    Thanks! RhumAndJerk gave me the book that inspired the creation. "The Asian Grill". It has beautiful pictures....the slivers of scallions curl up when put in a bowl of ice water! Great tip. Great little book!
    Howdy to the family!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
  • Trout BumTrout Bum Posts: 343
    birdman,
    Has to be direct. I cook 3-4 lb. fillets indirect at 300-325 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. In this case,I don't think the weight has as much influence on cooking times as the thickness does.
    B D

·