Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

A different cook in a way..a 13.9 lb Boston Butt...!!

Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend wanted me to do a boston butt for her and her family for this weekend..She picked up the meat, and delivered the package of cryovac meat from IBP..One whole sholder and butt, less the bones. The meat was trimmed off in 5 chunks from the bone(s)..Alas...what to do..So I used half a package of Lysanders Pork Rub, and worked it in real good on all 5 chunks..Then oiled em down with olive oil and refrigerated 24 hours.
Removed them from the fridge this evening around 6 P.M. and laced two of the larger chunks together into a ball with butcher twine. Same for the other three chunks, and then slathered em with a cheep "Our Family" yellow mustard. Good enuff for crusting.
Placed all three or a total of 13.9 lbs or 14 lbs with mustard and seasonings (grin) on my round stainless steel mesh jerky basket that I had laying around here. This on a grill on 2 firebricks on edge over a round aluminum drip pan tray...!
I hope I have pulled pork at noon tomorrow...shooting for 230F degree cook temp...!
The fire was built with my standard low an slow core fire...I had a half bed of red hot coal..stirred it up a bit, and then added just enough charcoal to level the fire chamber. Then added 3 biiiiig chunks of hickory..Then added enough charcoal to fill the fire ring clear to the top just barely set the grill back down on the fire ring. Thats as far as I push it..:-)
Smoke rolled for the next half hour easily..Temperature after meat insertion was 160F and rising. 15 minutes later it was at 175F and rising..From 6:30 till now...7:23 p.m. tis 220F degrees and steady.
Luck is with me??
Hope it works..is this a first or has anyone done a full boneless pork butt and shoulder??
C~W

Comments