Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter pics?

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a plate setter and I think the place I bought it from sold me the wrong size. Even after I took it back and said this. They assured me that I had the right size and showed me how to use it. Basically they said that the legs on the platesetter face down and rest or wedge against the side of the fire box. I was looking at photos and I think they have sold ne either a mediaum platesetter. I have a large BGE.
Does anyone have any photos of the correct way a platesetter should fit in a BGE?
Thanks for your help.
Matt

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Matt,
    You might have got an old one that just barely fits. The new ones are great.[p]Mike

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Matt,
    CarwashMike is probably right. Mine is one of the early models and it just barely fits on the fire ring. But it works. The only way for you to know is to set it in your large Egg. If it sets on the fire ring, they sold you the right one, although an earlier version. If it does not set on the fire ring you've got something else.[p]By the way, you can use it legs up or legs down depending on what you are cooking. Legs up is usually when you want to place a drip pan under your meat. Legs down is when you want to raise the height of your cook. A pizza stone on top of a legs down plate setter is a perfect pizza setup. But you'll figure all this out as you start to use it.[p]Spring "Gonna Work My Plate Setter Some Tomorrow" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Matt
    Options
    So I re-set up with the plate setter and it sits wedged or resting against the wall, half way down the fire box (the bottom inside part). If I were to put it legs up, the plate setter would rest IN the coals. It comes nowhere near resting on the fire ring let alone the fire box. So I am thinking the shop definitely gave me the wrong size. I think that they gave me a medium or small platesetter for my large egg.
    I would love to take it back to the store and tell them that they DID give me the wrong size, but I have already used it and it has splothches of marinade on it from the last use with some wings I did.
    Is it right to ask for a replacement with the right size, considering I took it back after I bought and told them I thought they had given me the wrong size and they assured me that it was the right size?
    Matt

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Matt,
    I have one and it sits ON TOP of the fire ring, no wedging on nothing. The three legs will sit just fine on top of the fire ring, but they may seem a little close (it could possibly be made a little larger diameter, but the legs will not fit below the top edge of the fire ring at all.)
    If yours falls inside the fire ring, get another!
    later,
    Ron.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Matt,
    Yep, and if they disagree, call the mothership.
    later,
    ron.

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Matt,
    YES.
    I am a BGE Dealer and If my people would make such error I would definitely make it right. It's only fair.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    Matt,[p]You are definitely in the right to ask for a replacement.[p]You had doubts and even took it back and asked them to verify that this was right. Somebody made a mistake and told you yes. No harm done, but it is perfectly reasonable for you to ask them to give you what you paid for.[p]Don't give it another thought. You should get the one you asked for.
  • Matt
    Options

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.
    Matt

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Matt,[p]Will this do?[p]77241284-L.jpg
    77241413-L.jpg
    77241436-L.jpg

• Matt
    Options
    icemncmth,
    Perfect ... thank you ..