Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip advice

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been doing my tri-tips by givin' a good hot sear at high temp then closing the air down to let 'em dwell. One of the links posted a bit ago talked about doin 'em low and slow. Anybody have any advice or a preference before I possibly ruin one in front of the neighbors. Thanks

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Thor,
    Never done one..or for that matter even seen one where I shop..am looking forward to others responding to this post..good question..[p]Wess

• Thor,
    all I know is there big and probably started in the Pacific northwest. Simple spice as salt and pepper is the norm. Also
    Oak wood is the wood for these babies. Good luck. Low and slow is the way..250 maybe for 45 or so minutes I'm guessing.

• Thor,[p]It really depends on how much smoke flavor you like in your meat. If you grill a tri-tip, you won't end up with much smoke flavor. Since I love smoke flavor and don't necessarily care about a "seared" exterior, I always cook my tri-tips at 250. You might want to try one grilled and one low-and-slow and see which you like the best.[p]

• Mardi,
    Thanks...that's kinda what I was wonderin' It seems since it is not a very big piece of meat that a low-n-slow wouldn't necessarily tenderize it any more,(not long enough to break it down, i.e pulled pork style).

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thor,
    Check this recipe. It is a winner. It takes time to do as prescribed (with all the marinade time), but simple seasonings will work as well. The guy who posted this recipe can really cook. Enjoy.
    NB

[ul][li]Bill's Tri Tip[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thor,
    If you want more smoke flavor, try sticking in the freezer for an hour, then smoking the partially frozen meat at 180-225 with a good dose of smoke for 30 minutes or so. Remove the meat (should still be uncooked, but smoked a bit), and bring your cooker back up to searing temps. Grillin Bill's cooking temp (which I linked to in my last post) works well...but I s'pose it is similar to the sear/dwell method you have been using. The half-hour of smoke with the cold meat really makes a difference.[p]For even extra smoke flavor, chill the meat overnight after your initial smoke![p]Just some thoughts.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Thor,
    I cook a 3 lb tri tip at 250-275 for four hours if thawed or five hours if frozen. Cover with mustard then apply your favorite rub. They are great. tstick

• Thor,
    I wouldn't worry about trying to get the Tri-Tip to the tender stage. It is already a tender piece of meat.[p]Depending on your likes, you could grill it real fast and
    have it tender or lo and slo and it would still be tender! However, a lo and slo would tend to dry it out, I believe. Tri-Tip, if you look closely, has "Grill Me" tattooed on each tip.[p]Since this cut is essentially a roast, and can be steaked out, don't commit sacrilege by trying to "...break it down.."[p]Pete

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sespe Pete, Good tips..er Tri tips..er both..!
    C~W[p]