Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Rib Success

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some ribs from Costco yesterday and they turned out great. A package with two racks cost around $20. There was a lot of meat to trim from them, and the trimmings (after cooking along with the ribs for about three hours) went into some baked beans. [p]I made my own rub with turbanido sugar, salt, chili powder, paprkika, cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder and oregano. I gave both racks a light coating, without mustard.[p]I cooked them indirect (drip pan on the grid, second grid on the drip pan, ribs on the second grid - no platesetter or other barrier needed) at 250 for about 6 hours. I didn't use any foil and I didn't flip the ribs or add any sauce. I just left them where they were and sprayed them with apple cider a few times.[p]When the ribs looked ready, I took them off and put them in a foil pan while I grilled my corn.[p]Everything came out great. Me and my guests finished most of the first rack, and I gave them half of the second one to take home. I'll be having the leftovers for dinner tonight.[p]Next time I'm going to try them direct on a raised grid.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    i came THIS close to doing ribs for the fourth, but the timing was off. i'm jealous.[p]how often do you do the home made rub? i thnik i started with elder ward's recipe, and then have just added to it and modified it over time. almost like sour-dough.[p]a buddy of mine just got an egg and his wife asked for my secret rub recipe. was ashamed to tell them it was not a recipe at all, but just whatever i had on hand.[p]i use DP and others for many many things, but for large volume, i use my own (admittedly nonm-pro and yankee-fied) rub.[p]if you direct on raised, take note that fishless does them that way and uses the bare minimum of lump so as to avoid charring (being too near the lump). that's a tuff-guy cook. pro-only. good luck!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I almost always use my own rubs, and I generally just throw them together. I was going to try Alton Brown's rub, but I didn't have any jalapeno seasoning or rubbed thyme. Occasionally I use a store bought rub and I usually add some brown or turbanido sugar to it.[p]I've cooked ribs direct (without a raised grid) many times without any problems.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    stike,
    i have been out of rubs for quite some time now, my new method is to just grab stuff off the shelf and dump it onto the ribs in layers until its covered well. i wonder if anyone else uses this method or maybe its all mine. the trick is to alternate the color of the rubs for even coats, then to blend it all on the ribs with mustard. its never the same twice, but who wants it the same every time, it would get boring.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    not the same, but similar, right?[p]why weren't you up to the lake for the fourth?

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I prefer Costco ribs much more than Sam's. I used Sam's for a competition and they were very small compared to what costco has. Costco were very meaty.

• fishlessman
    Options
    100_0804.jpg
    <p />stike,
    fire works down here on the pond on the fourth are pretty spectacular and it was time to cook a big porkbutt. it was actually nice to stay home for a change of pace. fireworks on the lake are the 20th this year, pretty much right over the camp. the maniacs throw everthing up at the same time, this wasnt an overexposure, this is how maine fireworks actually look like in sebago. i think i need to be there to make sure that those trees dont catch on fire, they were coming down pretty close to the camp

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    that's cool. we used to live in a house in wakefield on the lake and the town launched the fireworks from our backyard, practically.[p]seems lighting firecrackers lately (here, at winni, or my bro's houses) are enough to make neighbors call the cops.[p]

• fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    theres 6 camps out of 30 total on or just off forest lake with active and retired cops. its the cops that put on the best displays. cruisers patrolling the beach the whole time and no one says anything.

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    cops have the best sh!t.....[p]hahaha