Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill extenders

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What success have people had with the new half moon raised grid and the triple grill extender. I am always trying to find ways to cook a variety of things at one time on my L-BGE are these the best accessories for this?
Thanks!
Kilo

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    IMG_1825.jpg
    <p />kilo, I realize this isn't the answer to your question but I'm still pleased with my simple BGE grill extender with the sides that flip up for access. When you set up like I have here you actually have three levels as well with the bottom of the plate setter, the main grill and then the extender grill surface. Works for me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnF
    JohnF Posts: 31
    Options
    kilo,[p]I have them for my medium and am not a fan. The design is such that it is difficult to have anything other than a small chicken breast underneath. Tried to cook 2 briskets, one below and one above and couldn't get the extender to sit around the brisket on the grid. It does give you a higher level to cook at, but.........[p]Maybe I just need to figure something else out. Anyone else help?
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    John F.,maybe someone will post a picture of units made with a second grill and stainless carriage bolts.[p]Goood Eggin'
    Poppasam

• Wakefan
    Wakefan Posts: 51
    Options
    kilo,
    3 tier: It is good for longer indirect cooks. I like doing boston butts on the lowest grid, ribs on the middle tier, and faster cooking on the top (jalapenos, quesadillas - the pizza stone is a perfect fit, but pizza needs more heat, veggies in foil, etc). Cook between 250 and 275 and expect the top grid to be hotter than the bottom. I have seen ham and brisket used in the middle and Bratts done on top, etc. [p]I like mine. Only use it a couple times a month though.
    BTW - be careful using potatoes on the top. I pierced one the first time I did this...

• Unknown
    Options
    kilo,
    Go to a hardware store that sells stainless steel bolts that they can cut from a long piece and have them cut you 4 sections of about 6" in length of 1/4" diameter. Buy at least 6 nuts and 3 washers for each bolt.[p]Bolt these to a smaller grid using a washer and two nuts on top of the grid and a washer and two nuts on the bottom of the grid. You may need to adjust the distance of the grid from the top of the bolt but start with about 1" distance. You need two nuts so one will hold the other stationary. Then put two washers and 4 nuts on the bottom of the bolt with enough space to hold the grid at the desired level. With this setup you can put the grid on and take it off easily. Make sure all of the components are stainless.[p]I got this idea off the forum several years ago and it works. Someone posted a picture but I don't have one.

• Whitetail
    Whitetail Posts: 76
    Options
    John F.,
    I use the top part of OLD DAVES contraption as a grill extender. It’s made with threaded rod, nuts, and fender washers. Because of the threaded rod it’s fully adjustable. You just move the bottom nuts up or down depending on how high you want your raised grid. I have mine set up a full 5 inches over my regular grid. Except when I am searing steaks it’s all I grill on. [p]Thanks again OLD DAVE. Great set up.

• Don from NJ
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />kilo,[p]Here's my setup, cost about 10 bucks for the grate (Home Depot, weber charcoal grill replacement) it's about 1 inch in diameter smaller than the main BGE grate. I used 4 6" or 5" bolts that i welded nuts to the end of each. i first put on 1 nut, 2 washers, then welded the last nut to the bolt. I then bent them using a vice and piece of metal pipe. [p]here's some pics, i made some chicken wings on there last night, started raining when i was finishing them so i need to burn off the "Jamaican Firewalk" seasoning tonight..
  • Don from NJ
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />kilo,[p]Here's my setup, cost about 10 bucks for the grate (Home Depot, weber charcoal grill replacement) it's about 1 inch in diameter smaller than the main BGE grate. I used 4 6" or 5" bolts that i welded nuts to the end of each. i first put on 1 nut, 2 washers, then welded the last nut to the bolt. I then bent them using a vice and piece of metal pipe. [p]here's some pics, i made some chicken wings on there last night, started raining when i was finishing them so i need to burn off the "Jamaican Firewalk" seasoning tonight..
  • Don from NJ
    Options
    kilo,[p]pic problems, here's a link the pic's
    [ul][li]Grill Ext pics[/ul]
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Don S,
    I saw some information about this some time ago and it sounds like the way to go. I hope somebody will post a picture or a link to one. Thanks for the feedback!
    Kilo

• Whitetail
    Whitetail Posts: 76
    Options
    kilo,
    Use the search function on "old dave contraption". Or go to here [p]http://www.greeneggers.com/archives//2006/messages/288974.htm

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    3-4.jpg
    <p />kilo,I like them both. mainly use the three tier for massive cooks. Got the half moon not too long ago and see quite a bit of potential.
    3-5.jpg
    2levelchix-1.jpg
    2levelchix3.jpg
    2levelchix.jpg