Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

That Cuban marinade

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put a pork roast in the 'frige using the Cuban marinade that floated through the forum yesterday. If it tastes anything like it smells all I can say is OH. MY. GOSH.! I'll post the results tonight after supper.
Carey

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Sundown,
    Hey, I just put a big ol' pot of black beans in Humpty from a recipe on that same Cuban site. It's the one with honey, lots of spices, and rum. Wow! The aroma's making the neighbors line up and take a number. I'll post the results tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Gretl,
    I can't seem to find the black bean recipt you are doing got a link?
    The pork roast is on and my wife wants to know when it's going to ready ... it absolutely smells great![p]Carey

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Sundown, try this one

[ul][li]Black Beans with Honey and Rum[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Sundown, and I'll even make it easier:
    Black Beans with Honey and Rum
    From Three Guys from Miami (iCuban.com)
    Ingredients
    1 pound dried black beans
    12 strips bacon
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup dark rum [p]Directions
    Preheat the oven to 275°F.
    Clean and soak the beans overnight.
    Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain and set aside.
    Use a little of the bacon grease to sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add chicken stock, vinegar, ginger, pepper, mustard, honey, brown sugar, cloves, and cinnamon to the pan. Bringing to a boil, stirring constantly.
    Add the water and the beans. Keep stirring until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the beans are tender (about one hour).
    Place the beans in a large covered casserole. (Suitable for oven use.) Stir in rum, cover, and bake for 6 1/2 to 7 hours.
    Remove the lid during the last half hour. This will allow the top to brown (hey they're black beans -- isn't that impossible?) OK, more like a slightly darker black. They need to be crusty on top!