Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

controlling the temperature for a lrge EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a new large EGG. Was wondering if there is a general rule on how to controll the temp. For instance; to maintain 250 keep the daisy wheel completeley closed and the bottom opened how much. Do you control the temp with the bottom or top?

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Tsofa,[p]The bottom vent controls the air intake and the top controls the air exhaust.
    So keeping either one closed will probably put the fire out..[p]The daisy wheel is for fine tuning the temp and you can bump the temp up by a couple of degrees just using the daisy wheel..[p]The bottom vent will give you a larger range in temp control..[p]The best thing to do is just put some lump in and play with it ...[p]I would start off by opening the bottom vent about 1/2" and the daisy wheel just open it a little...[p]And see what the temp looks like after it has been chuggin a long for 30+ mins...[p]The mess with the daisy wheel and see what that does..[p]One thing is to watch the DVD that came with your egg...

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Tsofa,
    Have you watched the video yet? It should as=nswer your questions. [p]But in my case I like to use both open slightly. Or I might close the bottom vent completely when cooking ABT's direct. [p]Some Eggheads close one or the other depending on what they are cooking. It doesn't take much of an opening to keep the lump burning so it's a matter of tweaking both bottom and top vents to maintain the desired temperature. For example, a quarter inch crack in the bottom vent and similar setting on the top vent could produce a low 200° to 225° temperature depending on type of lump, how well it has stabilized and how well your gasket is sealing.[p]You need to start off with a few low temperature cooks anyway in order to seat your gasket so this is the perfect time to play with the controls. Don't worry, you will catch on pretty quickly. We sometimes call it Getting To Know Your Egg.[p]Spring "I Know My Egg And My Egg Knows Me" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA