Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all Pizza Eggsperts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the King's Women and I will be grilling for our supper club tomorrow night. ...going to cook 5 pizzas (or so). [p]I grill my pizzas indirect on a pizza screen. Personally, I like my crust very thin (and this is how my guests will be getting it)... so I roll out the dough into a very thin circle, then place it on the screen. [p]My question is this: if I need to roll out the dough early (which I will because I will have to be tending to other things right before the guests arrive), and place it on the screen and into the 'fridge, how will the dough react? [p]Will it schrivle up, will the dough change texture, will it taste bad after doing this? Should I leave the dough out, rather than putting it in the fridge?[p]I've never rolled out my dough early... those of you who have - how did it work out for you? [p]Thanks,[p]

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    One of the King's Men,[p]Roll them out and leave them out of the fridge...if you put them in the fridge they will dry out and it will drop the temp in the dough too much and you will have to pull them out and bring them up to room temp anyway..[p]I pre-make my dough all the time..and I just leave them out ...I usually put a damp paper towl over each to keem them from forming a skin...[p]If you like them then then fork the dough so you won't get big bubbles...[p]Hope this helps.
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    if you roll them out into shape & place on the screen, then the longer they sit, the more they will rise. to reduce that rising, you can retard it by keeping the screens with the dough in the fridge that is not too cold and then bake them one after another.keep some wax paper on top to prevent forming a skin(drying out)
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    chefarnoldi,[p]Since he likes thin pizza if he can "dock" the dough and I'm sure he doen't own a dough docker he can just use a fork to poke the dough. I will do pizza parties and do 20+ pizzas so I will have several sitting and waiting for toppings. I let the people put their own sauce and toppings on and I keep the size of the pizza down to about 6" each. That way I can do 4 at once on the egg. This is fun to do because everyone gets to make what they want and I don't spend my entire night prepping, adding toppings....[p]