Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEW EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST BGE!!!!!!
I AM STOKED BABY!!!!!
CURIOUS... DO YOU NEED TO BREAK THESE IN ON A LOWER HEAT BEFORE YOU BRING THE BIG HEAT FOR A THICK STEAK?

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    HARLEYDAWG,
    WELCOME... I would recommend doing a few cooks at 350 degrees to seat your gasket then you should be fine. Read the website below to get up to speed with your egg. Calibrate the Thermometer that goes in the dome page 30 old BGE book.[p]
    Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    HARLEYDAWG,[p]NO YOU DONT NEED TO BREAK IT IN!!!!! JUST COOK ON IT!!!!! WATCH OUT FOR FLASHBACKS!!! WOOOOOHOOO!!!!!![p]
    That being said, I didn't use my egg for a high temp cook until way after I fried my gasket by accident. Some say you need to break it in - I think it is just a learning period. Play it by ear - I did, and Im still alive to talk about it! :)

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Options
    HARLEYDAWG,[p]Welcome to the best BBQ you will ever have. Just like Pharmeggist said, you should do a few cooks at low temp. first so you don't burn up your gasket. It needs to seat and seal before you high temp cooks. Happy Egging[p]Pork Butt Mike[p]LB5.jpg[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bhribs.jpg
    <p />HARLEYDAWG,
    I also, would make a few lower cooks first.
    Welcome. You will do fine.
    It is the best.[p]Mike