Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help: Need Great Green Chile Pork Recipe

Options
Smok'inCSI
Smok'inCSI Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I really need a great green Chile pork recipe that I can use for Green Chile Burroito's etc!!
I really hope someone has one to share..cause I got to impress the people from the East Coast!!
Thxs a million
M

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Smokin'CSI,[p]Here is one that has worked for us for years and here is a link for plan "B". PS how is our forensic quest going for the herb recipe??[p]Chili, Pork, Green
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild
    2-3 3 1/2 Ozs. Green Chilis, Diced
    1 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca
    4 Tbs. Red Tomato Paste`
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder,
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Preparation
    1 Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.
    2 Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.
    3 Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.
    4 Freezes very well!

Yield: 2

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75[p]Source: Richard Howe

[p]

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Smokin'CSI,[p]Here is my wife's recipe. It has a traditional Southwest flavor that sometimes is foreign to East Coasters, BUT it recently took second place in the green category and also peoples choice in a chili contest in Brooklyn. It was kind of funny, the guy that I gave the recipe to did not even have time to do a trial run. We both got a chuckle out of that.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Green Chili[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Did you have a birthday recently?? You appear to be slowing down!! LOL

• thirdeye
    Options
    Richard,[p]Hey pardner, you got me again. I even looked at your post, just didn't trail it to the bottom.....[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokin'CSI,[p]I have used this simple recipe in an oven-cooked version, but it should work great on an egg--i am too new an egger to have tried it on egg yet![p]5 lb boneless pork shoulder (trim any excess fat)
    1 Tbs salt
    1 Tbs. dried oregano (Mexican, if avail.)
    2 tsp. ground cumin (omit if you don't like cumin)
    2 large onions, chopped
    2 large cans diced mild green chiles[p](If you want to roast your own pasillo chiles, use about 5, char on egg --on grill over high heat-- or by other method, put in paper bag to cool, rub off charred skins, discard stem and seeds, then chop)[p]Put pork in a pot, sprinkle other ingredients on top, cover tightly and cook at 225-250 for 4-5 hours or until done and shreds easily. Recommend hand pulling as discarding large fat chunks is easier. (If you prefer cubed pork chunks, I suppose you could prep the uncooked pork that way, but I'm not sure how that would affect cooking--haven't tried it.)[p]An aluminum half-sized steam tray covered with HD foil makes for easy clean up and finished pork can be put back in it to keep warm or even reheat.[p]If desired you can stir in some green sauce, not necessary for taste and will make burritos too wet to hand-hold, but will make good messy 'smothered' burritos...I am usually too lazy to make my own green sauce, so I mostly buy it. A good quality green enchilada sauce (Herdez is a good brand I can get) or a bottled green sauce --(Hussongs is pricey but very, very good.) is a time saver. [p]good luck with whatever you cook!

• Richard
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Hope you didn't trip over your wheelchair on the way to the computer! hehe How is the lemongrass project??

• thirdeye
    Options
    Richard,[p]Well, it's in. I have a drip system in the greenhouse, so it is getting plenty of water. And there is new growth. [p]But for the last week and a half we have had temps in the high 90's and today was 99°. Bear in mind that I am at 5300' elevation. We normally get one or two weeks of hot weather in August. The good side is, the lemongrass probably feels right at home. The bad news is the only things that like that heat are my peppers, some of the herbs and the squash. The tomato plants hate it.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Richard
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Want to commission us and we will grow it here in Florida and ship in the Cold season??

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Smokin'CSI, Thirdeyes recipe rocks! It will impress anyone. Unless they live in Grand Rapids. JCA

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Well you could be like me in OKC....in my yard I have had over 40 inches of rain this year!...[p]In the last couple of days I had 9 inches of rain and it has rained everyday for over 18 days.[p]So I have a lot of green tomatoes..but since the sun hasn't come out all I have is green one's..[p]The next problem will be like you are having...once over 92deg the pollen on the tomatoes starts to evaporate so no tomatoes....
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Richard,
    What is green chili powder? I've never seen that.

Judy in San Diego
  • Richard
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Great product if you like green chili sauce.

[ul][li]http://www.hatch-chile.com/catalog.asp?categoryid=8872[/ul]