Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice please, on brisket points/burnt ends

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all,[p]Having a medium, I have only done brisket flats. However, I saw a really nice looking packer at a good price. I bought it and measured. I only need to cut off about 1 1/2 inch to fit the medium. I figure I'll grind that bit it into brisket burger. [p]Am I correct that the point won't likely be as done as the flat after "x" hours. So when the flat is tender, its time to pull, rest, and then seperate the point for more cooking for burnt ends. Or, will the point be fine, just maybe not as tender?[p]Does anyone do just points?[p]gdenby

Comments

• onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    gdenby,
    The point and the flat will be ready to pull at the same time. I don't make my point it to burnt ends I slice and remove most of the fat then chop add bbq sauce put on bun and enjoy.
    Bobby-FTW,TX[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02879a.jpg
    <p />gdenby,[p]Don't worry about cutting off an end. Just stick a beer can on the grate and drape the brisket over it. That should suck the sides in enough so you can close the lid. After about 3 hours you can remove the can because it will have shrunk enough to lay flat.[p]The point will be done when the flat is, it is just so fatty that it can go back on to render more fat out. The additional time will also tenderize it. Give it an hour or two then cube it. Your options are to serve "dry" and sauce at the table OR add some sauce and reduce them awhile.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • gdenby
    Options
    onelegchef,[p]thank you most kindly. I'm completely unfamiliar with points. Some of what I've read make it seem like the point needs another few hours.[p]gdenby

• gdenby
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]>Just stick a beer can on the grate...[p]Neat trick. Let me try an ASCII diagram, the diagram being the brisket:[p]_--^--_ , with the caret being where the can is?[p]gdenby
  • thirdeye
    Options
    beercanbrisket.jpg
    <p />gdenby,[p]I'm more comfortable with the John Madden sketch. You can use a V-rack too. Wrap the can in foil if it makes you feel better about it. Also build yourself a foil shield where the brisket reaches beyond the edges of the plate setter. It can be removed later on too after he shrinks some. DSC01859a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• gdenby
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]The Madden sketch answers the other question that occured to me, beer can on side or upright.[p]You make the cook look so simple. Thanks for sharing the advantage of your experience.[p]For what its worth, I mentioned a few days ago to a co-worker that a new BBQ place offered brisket, and he just looked puzzled. Round here, the brisket is almost an unknown.

• thirdeye
    Options
    gdenby,[p]You need to take your buddy a sampler plate.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    7sm.jpg
    <p />gdenby,[p]This has been a great thread for me tonight. Thanks gdenby and thirdeye![p]I managed to get this brisket on my large, but wondered what I would do with a 14#er.[p]I used the rub offered by the Jamison's (Smoke & Spice) in their 'Braggin' Rights Brisket'[p] I put on a 10# (pre-trim) packer at about 4 today. Looking forward to some great sliced brisket and burnt ends tomorrow.[p]Have a good one![p]DD