Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Tri-Tip. Suggestions?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about doing my first Tri-tip July 4th (If I can find one). Any killer recipes out there? All kinds of ways to cook one in the archives. Which is the best? Slow&low or Trex?
Thanks

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    atx,[p]Here is a popular one.

[ul][li]http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    atx,
    grew up on tri-tip in Central CA, where it has been a popular cut for a long time. higher heat methods work best, especially in BGE which keeps moisture in. low and slow will produce a "spongy" texture, in my experience...hope you find a good one for the 4th

• Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    atx,[p]Cook it at 400º, hot like a steak, about 40 minutes with oak chunks. Pull at 135º for medium rare, slice thin.[p]White pepper, sea salt, oregano, cumin, cayanne pepper rub.[p]
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGETri-Tip003.jpg
    <p />atx,
    Tri-tip is my favorite steak. I cooked one last evening and as my son was enjoying the fruits of my labors he said "You should cook more steak Dad...cause ya can't get it this good in a restaurant." Well, I said, "Sure buddy, YOU BUY and I'll cook it."
    Anyhow, I get good results with a sear after roasting indirect at 325 dome, a reverse TRex of sorts. Kept it simple with oil rub and dusted with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. The flavor was classic steak and classic roast beef all in one.
    Clay

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what to do. Now I just need to find a tri-tip!
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Tri Tip is my new favorite too! Just as you said, it has flavor of a fine steak and Roast Beef.[p]How long do you roast at 325 before searing? Or should I say, what internal temp do you roast before searing? I like to have mine finished at about 125, rest then devour![p]Joey

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    I roast indirect until 120-125 then pull steak off, set up direct grid, get the egg up to searing temps and sear both sides of steak until 130-135 internal and its done. On the plate it will go to around 135-140 for medium-medium rare. I rest then slice across the grain....mop up the juice with egg baked bread....yes sir.
    P.S., I got your mail.

• Unknown
    Options
    atx, Here is another way. Slice your Tri-Tip into steaks about
    1-1/2"thick. Rub them lightly all over with olive oil and then shake on equal parts of onion powder, garlic powder and celery salt. Grill them direct at about 375-400 degrees. After 3 minutes rotate them for crossed grill marks, and let them go for another 2 minutes. Then flip them and finish them for 3 or 4 minutes max. This will give you a nice medium rare. Do not let them go beyond medium rare or the will toughen up and lose a lot of flavor. You can use a Thermopen or other thermometer if you like, but this method works reliably without one. Enjoy! You can also cover them with heated salsa for a nice variation.