Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks BBQFan1 for the Smoke Tomato Salsa Recipe

ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried a BBQFan1's recipe this weekend and it was very good. I took it to a friends BBQ where it was completely devoured. You know you've done well when intoxicated people leaving the BBQ stumble your way to compliment you. [p]Lessons learned: don't char the red and green peppers in the coals too much or you'll be pealing off ash and go less on the vinegar. I smoked a red pepper that looked like a jalapeno (not sure what it was) but it added some heat. I plan on adding another jalapeno or two the next go around.[p]I hope QFan doesn't mind but here's the recipe he gave me last week. It's a fun in between lunch and dinner project. I personally grilled up lunch, then made salsa, and kept the Egg hot for dinner.[p]Thanks QFan,[p]CC[p]Recipe:[p]Tom:
I'm still tinkering with a recipe and I don't claim to have found anything magical here, but here's what I do (I'm not big on measurements, I just adjust to suit my tastes)....
Smoked Tomato Salsa
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 10-12 Roma tomatoes (Italian tomatoes; just a little meatier than regular
garden-variety, but if this is what you have, go for it!)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
-white sugar to taste
-white vinegar to taste, about a quarter cup to a third cup
-lime juice to taste, about 1-2 limes' worth
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional; to taste)[p]Method
-Fire up the Egg (I'm assuming you'll use an Egg to do this). Get a nice bed of coals going. Rub the green and red bell peppers with olive oil and set among the coals. Let roast until completely charred, turning occassionally to get all sides, top and bottom done evenly, about 25 minutes. Remove from the Egg and drop into a paper bag or into a bowl with tight fitting lid, or stretch Saran Wrap over an open bowl to steam the skins. Let sit for 25-30 minutes and charred skin will come right off, fairly easily. [p]While peppers are steaming, put a small handful of soaked wood chips (I used apple) into the Egg on the burning embers, putting the grill into place. Take the roma tomatoes into which you've cut a shallow X into top and bottom (so they don't 'explode'), and set on the grill over the apple smoke. Cover and let smoke for 15-20 minutes, turning tomatoes part way through. [p]In meantime, seed and devein the jalapeno and coarse dice the onion. When tomatoes are smoked, remove and set aside to cool a bit. Peel and seed the bell peppers, and rough chop.[p]Peel (optional) and rough chop the tomatoes, cutting off top stem.
Chop cilantro if using.
Chop garlic.
Put all rough chopped veggies and garlic into food processor, along with tblespoon cilantro.
Sprinkle with about 2 tblespoons sugar, 1/4 cup white vinegar and juice of 1-2 limes.
Pulse for 10-15 seconds max, till a nice crisp texture remains, but veggies are uniform size.
Add sugar, vinegar and/or lime juice to taste.
Refrigerate at least 2 hrs for flavors to blend, and enjoy (I hope).[p]Let me know how it goes! (let me know if something seems like it was missed;
I did this off the top of my head!)
Qfan