Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome vs. grate with 5" TelTru thermometer

Options
neweggerart
neweggerart Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I replaced my broken bge thermometer with the tel-tru with 5" stem and find that my dome temperature is about only 5-10 degrees different than at grate measured with polder...is this because the stem is longer than original?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    neweggerart,
    The difference between the dome and grate depends on a lot of things, and it isn't a constant difference. The stem on the Tel-Tru isn't THAT much longer than the BGE thermometer and isn't going to create much of a difference. However, your setup makes a difference (direct or indirect, plate setter vs. drip pan, vs bricks) and the length of time the cooker has been hot makes a difference. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • neweggerart
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks...even though it is 1+ year with my large egg, I still consider myself a newbie (hence name)compared to most of you. When I graduate out of newbie status, maybe I'll change my name to something like the "fully clad Whiz"...

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    neweggerart,[p]I have a few Tel Tru thermometers and have decided on sticking with the 2.5" probe only because sometimes when I load up Humpty the probe hits the meat... and well to be honest after a while you can just kinda' tell where the temp is.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Good Eats,
    i use the 2.5 inch stem as well, its about 10-15 percent off per the naked whiz, but thats close enough for most cooks for me. if your cooking inderect down low its actually reading closer to true than the longer probes and if your cooking a direct cook i just add 10 percent to the reading. bent too many longer probed therms over the years, the shorter probe works fine enough for what we do.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ?action=view&current=IMG_0114.jpg
    <p />neweggerart,
    I much prefer the Tel-Trus due to their accuracy and quality of manufacture. Furthermore I prefer the 5" stems. Though they are a mere 1" longer than BGE since I use a wooden toy wheel spacer to keep the thermometer from resting on the dome directly that cuts the length to only 1/2" longer so what is 1/2"? Nothing to get excited about in my book.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    IMG_0114.jpg
    <p />not sure why the picture didn't show...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.