Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcocked/Butterflied Chicken

ColoradoCookColoradoCook Posts: 150
edited 3:50AM in EggHead Forum
I had great success last week with spactchcock chicken. I suggest that anyone that wishes to try this that they use chickens no bigger than 4lbs; my bird was 6lbs. It cooked at 350 degrees, and it took about 15 minutes per pound using the direct method. I left the grid height exactly where it is (The Naked Whiz raises his with bricks for easy turning) and it cooked great; it was a pain to flip. I was concerned that it would char too much but it came out a deep golden brown. For flavor I injected with a cajun marinade and dry rubbed the night before. I also used apple wood chuncks for smoke. By far it was the best chicken I had ever eaten, my 4 year old son even said that I cook better than his mom (that doesn't say much, she's a vegetarian).