Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinges/Quick Release

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been wanting to replace my old "stock" hinge system on my medium egg with one of the new quick release systems. However, I have had my egg since about 1995 or 1996 and it seems that some if not all the older eggs are slightly different. What I mean by that is the surface area where the top band for the hinge assembly sits is narrower on the older eggs versus the newer eggs. My BGE store here in Atlanta told me others have tried the new quick release hinge assembly on older eggs but found that it doesn't stay on very well because there isn't enough surface area for the top band to sit on. Has anyone here run into this problem and if so what was your resolution if any. Or did my egg top just come out of a bad mold. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    AWE, I am not sure about any changes in the molds from 1996 as it was in this time period that (1994 I think) that BGE made a change in the ceramics. Most if not all BGE's from what I understand that carry the BGE registered tradem mark on the dome, are all the same. There was at one time a deterioration of the mold that caused a slight malformation of the dome lip..I think they corrected that. That helped to cause the bands to slip. If BGE would just use a set of metal clips..either in a sidway's /_/ shape with the outside lips the same thickness as the band material, and fasten these to the dome lip with a super high heat resistant silicon, there would be no slippage. This would give a solid recess for the bands to access and hold the dome. Just my opinion.
    I am going to do it with mine made out of thin aluminum channel stock for a experiment..
    Normally the bands hold pretty good unless someone torques the bands with the locking mechanism is in the secured upright position...Then its bad news to try to lower the dome.
    I haven't seen any pics of the "new" bands that are being shown in the BGE showroom in Atlanta.
    Best I can do for ya..
    Char-Woody[p]