Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-in picnic roast help?

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a picnic roast at the store, but I've never cooked one before. Any ideas or recipes??

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    AlaskanC, are you speaking of a Picnic Ham (the shank (lower) portion of the shoulder that has skin on part of it?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    have you done a butt? pulled pork?[p]same thing, essentially (same process, i mean)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I am assuming that it has the skin on it. It has a fat cap from what I can see.

• AlaskanC
    Options
    stike,
    Ya know, you are making me want to go all stumpbaby on your reply, but I will play innocent..lol.[p]OK, so it is the same as pulled pork then. Is that the texture it comes out like, or is it more sliceable like ham?

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    I take the skin off, rub it, cook indirect at 250 dome until 195 internal. Wrap it up in foil and towels then put it in a cooler for a rest. Sound familiar? -RP

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    A picnic is just the half of the front shoulder of the pig which is towards the leg end. The butt is the other half of the front shoulder which is towards the shoulder end. So, essentially someone took a shoulder, cut it into the butt and the picnic and you now have the picnic. You cook it essentially the same as the butt to make pulled pork. If you cook it only to about 180 degrees, then you should be able to slice it. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    AlaskanC, a picnic ham is the bottom half of a pork shoulder. A so-called Boston butt is the top portion of a pork shoulder. Either will work for pulled pork or sliced. If you want to slice it, cook it to about 160 (I believe). If you want it falling-apart tender for pulling, cook it to about 195 or 200. The final temp is just a rule-of-thumb. You have to watch it when it starts getting to the point you can wiggle the bone and pull it out clean and it almost falls apart when you pick it up. That's when it's done and suitable for "pulled pork."

• AlaskanC
    Options
    Thanks Whiz! I think that will be tomorrow night's dinner.[p]Now I have to figure out what to do with this huge cryovac of tri-tips that we just bought! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    8d0da001.jpg
    <p />AlaskanC,[p]Usually they have the skin still on. It will lock in some moisture, especially if you inject it. Butt, (pardon the pun) if the skin is not to your liking, spend 6 minutes and take it off, trimming the loose ends as you go. [p]Either way, cook it just like a butt. Compared to the blade end of the shoulder, a picnic does have some different muscles which develop a darker color and some of the meat next to the bone will come out very sweet. If you leave it on, the skin will reward you with some crispies that are delicious.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]You can tell we don't get these very often up here! :) Thanks for the advice!!

• AlaskanC
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Hmm... I just typed out a response, but my internet froze so if this is a duplicate then I guess you are getting double your pleasure! lol :)[p]I went and looked closer at the roast, and it does have a skin/ fat area. I like crispies so I will probably leave that on. I just wish I bought one of the bigger ones! This one is only 8.31 lbs.
    It says that it is injected or treated or something to that effect - so it will turn out more like a ham, right?

• AlaskanC
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Yeah, sounds familiar.... sheesh.... I'm havin' a bit of a forehead slapping moment here.
    We just don't get much variety up here, so when an oddity springs up at the grocery store, I just gotta ask about it. Looks like it wasn't so odd after all! :)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]8 pounds is a very respectable weight. Next time try to stay away from any injected or "enhanced" meats (pork chicken or turkey) but it is not a show stopper.[p]Try a cross score in an X pattern on the skin. It makes it curl and crisp up. Use a foil tent if the color starts to get too dark.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    you know, i'm surprised. as twisted, warped, and degenerate as i am i totally missed it when i typed it. [p]i am off my game, gurl.[p]it's basically the same as the butt, as far as temps go. take it to 195/200 for PP. heck, i have taken it off at 185 and been able to pull it.[p]bit ungainly, what withthe skin and all. i prefer the boston butt, but a picnic is often cheaper and more readily available (down here).[p]some say it's a tad hammier than the BB. who knows... rub, etc. can all spin the flavor one way or another.[p]good luck.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante