Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Ribs

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all eggheads. I recently acquired a lg BGE and I am lovin it. I need to replace the gasket though. It only seems to trickle out a little smoke where the lids meet.
So far I've cooked a turkey breast and a couple of fat hens..with great results.
Does anybody brine their ribs before egging them? I brine about everything else but I just never did brine ribs. I hoping to cook about six slabs this weekend. I would appreciate any help or advice or even a good rib brine recipe. Thanks,in time, I hope to get to know you all personally.

Comments

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    I've never brined pork or beef for anything (BGE, grill, oven, stove, etc.) The moisture has never been a problem. I will marinate them for flavor though.[p]When cooking poultry or seafood, I have used a brine when I'm going to use the oven. I hate chicken breasts that are dry as a sponge. But to be honest, I no longer brine anything on the egg. When I brine a chicken or a turkey, they ended up SOOO juicy that I end up worrying about whether it was done all the way (even though I checked the temperature with a probe). Cooking them straight up (no brine) is perfect for me.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Big'un,[p]It doesn't seem that brining ribs does much. Before getting the Egg, I brined lots of different meats, in an attempt to add fluid so the food wouldn't dry out in various metal cookers. The Egg ensures a moist piece of food. I do still occassionally brine large cuts of beef and pork because I think it removes the blood taste, and gives a milder flavor. And poultry white meat seems to improve also.[p]gdenby

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    IMG_4052.jpg
    <p />Big'un,
    I like to brine also but never done ribs. I have read here that I'd end up with "mushy ham". The egg makes the best BBQ ribs. 3,1,1 method; dome around 250, 3 hours indirect with a little smoke, 1 hour in foil, 1 hour direct with a mop/sauce on the last 30 minutes.
    Clay

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Big'un,
    No brine on pork ribs, tends to make them more hamy, there are some ribs that come 'injected/enhanced' and they dont come out too well.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    When I first got into Egging...I brined pretty much everything...got lazy...stoped brining....and haven't been able distinguish any difference in taste or cooking differences.....and I think that's the magic of the BGE....The BGE throws way more positives than negatives at different cuts of meat and really throws out the need to brine....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Thanks for the 3.1.1 tip. I'll try it this weekend!

• Unknown
    Options
    Hi ClayQ,[p]The last 2 hours are at 250 also? I am new to egging and cooked some baby back ribs the other weekend--3hrs direct at 250. They were very nice but not falling off the bone as I expected. Maybe I will try the indirect method and wrapping in foil this time. [p]When you do the indirect method, are you using the ceramic insert that looks like a pizza tray? If so, how do you get it out of the egg when you switch to direct?[p]Thanks[p]
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    MitchR,
    I use orka mits when I want to remove my placesetter during a cook. Just be carefull where you set it once removed, it will be hot.