Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pork butt--all I need to know

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning it now so I'm ready to go for next weekend. I'd love to know:
-recipe & method for marinating
-recipe & method for rub
-cooking method, temp, time
-foil or no foil after?
-how many pounds per person as a rule of thumb?
-suggested sides[p]Let me know YOUR favorites & proven methods!

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    remdog,
    Rub with your favorite rub and cook about 240 dome for 1-2 hours per pound, pull around 200 degrees. I never inject marinade. Some people do. Foil and put in a cooler for a few hours then unfoil and pull.

• Unknown
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]I don't have a favorite rub yet--any suggestions?[p]And re: the cooler, is it an empty cooler or one with ice? Isn't it bad food safety to put it in a cooler with no ice for a few hours?
  • wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    Options
    remdog,
    No ice. Just wrap in foil and a towel. It will stay over 140, which your safe temp for a long time that way.[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    wingfoot,[p]what does this process do for the meat?

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    remdog,
    It will let the juices redistribute. [p]I like Bad Byons butt rub

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I'd strongly suggest that you visit www.nakedwhiz.com and Wessb.com and look at their Boston Butts recipes and tips. This will give you great direction for sure. Always best to keep things simple. Make sure you have a big load of lump, plate setter in place, cover meat with cheap yellow mustard, generously cover with your favorite dry rub and you're off to the races![p]Boston Butts are very hard to mess up! Alot of fat and connective tissue. Run your dome temps between 250 and 275 and you'll be just fine. Do your homework! There's great information on the two sites, so do your homework, read up and get going! And have fun![p]Ed McLean.....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Super Glide
    Options
    remdog,[p]OK, Here is my 2 cents.[p]Don't marinate, the pork has enough flavor by itself. I've done brined and non-brined butts, and everyone always prefers the non-brined. Maybe in other smokers it helps, but there is no need in an egg IMHO. Use some hickory and apple woods for a nice mellow smoke, its all the flavor you need.[p]There are no better rubs than Dizzy Pig rubs. The quality is excellent, and the flavor is fantastic. I've tried other rubs, and they are garbage compared to Dizzy Dust (and thats just one of their flavors). If you order today, you'll have it by next weekend, no problem. Just dust the butt up and wrap in plastic wrap for a few hours before the cook.[p]I cook indirect at 225* grid temp. Thats about a 250*-275* dome temp. Cook until the internal temp hits 200*. [p]Then take the butt off, wrap it in 2 layers of heavy duty foil, and let it rest in a cooler. I actually don't use a cooler. The first time I did a butt, I put 2 on and one of them was ready at 8am. I took it off the egg, wrapped it up, put it in a foil pan, and put it in my oven (set to 150*)until it was dinner time. Worked like a charm. Meat was nice and hot, and still delicious. I do that all the time now. I find it easier than wrapping in blankets, towels or whatever. I'm also usually using my cooler to keep things cool, if you know what I mean.[p]1/2 pound raw meat per person will be more than enough to feed an army. Or even your uncle Harry who can eat like one.[p]As for sides, I've served it with many different things. The only rule is to use plain sandwich buns. I personally like the larger ones, but some people like the smaller ones. I make some sauce to go with the butt. I put it in a squeeze bottle. I do it pretty simple, just some store bought sauce (I like bone suckin' sauce)add some apple cider vinegar, Some apple juice, maybe some hot sauce if you like it spicy, or some honey if you like it sweet. I usually do 2 sauces one hot and one not.[p]Other than that, I serve picnic sides like coleslaw, macaroni salad, potato salad, chips, etc. The butt is the center of attention.[p]the most important piece of advice is don't worry. It takes a lot to screw up a butt, especially on an egg.