Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Alaskan C ~ Salmon Advice Please

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC02744a.jpg
<p />I'm on my second batch of smoked Copper River salmon, just took these out of the smoke box. Cold smoked with alder & hot finished with cherry. I do enough for me to have my fill as well as give some away. They are telling me in another 2 weeks it may not be available here.[p]Can you give me any advice on freezing smoked salmon? I have a vacuum sealer. I buy full fillets, trim the fatty strip on the belly and leave the skin on. [p]~thirdeye~
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    thirdeye,[p]Don't know about smoked salmon, but 10 years ago or so we used to net mullet in the river and smoke them very oily fish. They would last 4-6 months wrapped tightly in heavy saran wrap in the freezer. Vacuum sealer should be ever longer.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    thirdeye,
    if you brined it and cold smoked it, well, you preserved it. they didn't do that for taste, well, not at first![p]vacuum seal and refrigerate[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    stike,[p]I used my dry cure which turns to a syrup overnight. The cold smoke time is for flavor and the hot smoke sort of firms it up. I like a very moist product so I only go to an internal of 125 or so which still retains a lot of the natural oils. Mine is not as done as some are. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• JohnnyH
    JohnnyH Posts: 17
    thirdeye,[p]Where can I get your recepie/technique for that salmon. It looks great.[p]John

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    thirdeye,
    smoke,salt and the dry cure ARE preservatives....
    smoke and salt are anti-microbial. plus,the atmosphere is incredibly hostile to bacteria.[p]that stuff you see vac-packed in the store is no more "preserved" than what you have. except i bet yours is better tasting.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    JohnnyH,[p]It's the only entry in the "Seafood" section of my cookin' site. Man,... I need to update that. I cook a lot of seafood. I just really love salmon and trout. And walleye, grouper, perch and flounder. Squid, shrimp, oysters too.[p]I'm about 6 minutes away from pulling off a grilled fillet of salmon right now.....[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Click Me[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• JohnnyH
    JohnnyH Posts: 17
    thirdeye,[p]I guess I should have looked first. I was just on your site yesterday looking up Pig candy recepie.[p]Thanks
    John