Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Cooking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a wok for Fathers Day. Do I place it directly on the coals or on the grid?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Steelers Fan,[p]Actually I recommend putting it on the extended grid above the regular grid, simply because it helps you not burn your hand while stirring over a hot fire.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Steelers Fan,[p]I (respectfully) disagree with TRex.[p]Getting the bottom of the wok close to the coals is good since you want to get the highest heat. Unfortunately, as TRex alludes to, that puts the wok pretty low in the Egg and makes it sorta risky to work with. A wok ring from TJV helps but isn't a full solution - I haven't hit on that perfect solution yet. But my wife definitely prefers the taste of cooking over charcoal (which happens to be the way she grew up) and particularly likes getting the heat and oil spatters out of the kitchen. [p]BTW, someone suggested using the firebox of a medium inside the firebox of a large to concentrate the heat for a wok. I haven't tried it but the idea seems pretty good.
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    Steelers Fan,
    My smallest wok I own fits directly into the fire ring of the egg. It allows for a slight air gaparound on of the handles. I like it closer to the fire becuase I wok should be ripping hot. Stir frying is a quick saute over extremly high heat. I used to use a turkey bruning for my wok cooking to give you an idea of how hot you can get. Like any type of cooking you should be cautious with hot oils etc. I always keep two sets of tongs and towels near by to remove the wok if I need to. Hope this helps Hoss

• Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ,
    Found a picture of my wok in the egg not great yet you can get the idea. hoss
    korenstyleshortribs018.jpg

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ,[p] You do realize that this picture is now in Chubby Photo Arsenal to be used when you least expect it..
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Haggis, the biggest problem I see with using a wok in the egg is not so much the set up: wok ring, spider or setting it on the grid or fire ring. It's the American philosophy of bigger is better. We see that big open bowl and want to load it up which is the worst thing for wok cooking. Several small cooks will out perform one large cook every time...
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Stir4.jpg
    <p />Steelers Fan,
    I use a wok ring under mine.
    Stir3.jpg
    Wok2.jpg
    Wok3.jpg
    Stir6.jpg
    Stir5.jpg

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    jake42,[p]That wok looks well-seasoned and full of flavor! How's the heat level that high up in the Egg?
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Haggis,
    It gets as hot as you want it. I read somewhere that you should have the wok ring set with the wider side turned upward. This brings the wok even closer to the heat source.
    That works.