Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs over a bath

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cooked some bb ribs yesterday with a homemade rub; no spritzing and no mopping. it was my first cook with the ss grid from tjv. cool grid. thanks tom! i cooked them indirect (inverted plate setter, drip pan with water and cran-apple juice) @ dome 235 for 5 hours. then indirect (same setup) 45 minutes @ dome 350. meat side up the entire cook. [p]result: ribs were very moist. they never developed a crisp outer bark though. didn't notice any flavor imparted by the cran-apple juice. the ribs probably could have gone another hour cause they weren't as tender as i would like.[p]has anyone cooked ribs like this? is there any advantage to the underneath bath? seems like the ribs were mostly steamed. maybe finishing direct would have been better for the ribs. [p]any thoughts? [p]thanks
mark

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    markkal123,[p]As you wrote:[p]>seems like the ribs were mostly steamed.[p]Yeah, I did several batches of ribs with liquid beneath. It was sort of a hold over from the old water smoker practice. Its good, because the ribs don't burn, and have a good flavor. It bad, because the ribs don't crisp up. Now, if I'm cooking indirect, I only put in enough liquid in the pan, usually toward the end half of the cook, to keep the drippings from toasting and smoking. And then go direct at the end. Or I just go direct, and spray/mop toward the end. [p]gdenby

• Unknown
    Options
    markkal123,[p]I have found that sticking to the board recommendation of 3 hours indirect followed by 1 hour in foil, 45 minutes indirect, 45 minutes direct works best. Basically you cook/ steam/ and then crisp up. Apply BBQ sauce for last 15 to 20. Works great. I believe that the Naked Whiz rec. this as well as Celtic Wolf.,[p]Egger
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Egger, I will third that recommendation, but sometimes it's still fun to experiment.