Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mex/Tex-Mex/New-Mex Cookin?

Options
Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question. Haven't seen much traffic here on cooking Mex, Tex-Mex, or New-Mex food on the Egg (granted - new boy). I realize now after a few months of usage that there really isn't any true limit with this beast. Anyone have any favorite hot-n-spicy-themed food in this category?[p]Background: We lived in "NEW" Mexico for several years. Wife is also Cajun, so if you don't sweat when eatin, it ain't worth havin (course, smokin in SO CLOSE a second...). From the LA angle, if it walks, crawls, swims, or slithers, it's dinner down on the bayou. When in the Army overseas, had friends send the hottest Hatch (NM) green chilis over and we'd roast them on the Weber, then freeze them for later consumption. Darn-near blinded some neighbors who carelessly wandered thru the smoke.[p]By-the-way. I just kinda discovered the forum a few weeks ago and have really learned a lot here -- THANKS! Got one of the demo models from the last Waldorf, MD, EggFest, and it really hasn't cooled off yet! My project on 4 July was building a double-rack for the egg so I could increase productivity, then capping off the day before fireworks grilling some buffalo steaks. Outstanding![p]Appeciate any pointers.[p]Wazoo[p]

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Wazoo, it may be up to you to guide us. Take some of the area recipes you liked and adapt them to the egg. When you have a winner, let us know. Then you will find the forum all ablaze with Mex, TexMex and PlayMex recipes. I'm looking forward to it.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Wazoo,
    If you look in the submitted recipes section, there are a handful of recipes for both Mexican style dishes. To me, there are basic ingredients and techniques to Mexican cooking. The concepts of tacos, burritos or fajitas are about the same with different presentations. I usually make some type of rice and some type beans, then grill some meat and wrap it all in a tortilla. There are some good Pico De Gallo recipes that have been submitted. Oh yeah, do not forget the Tequila![p]As for chile heads, there are more than one here and we all love to share. As WiseOne said, post away and give us new recipes to try.[p]Welcome and bring on da heat,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Wazoo,
    Try using some leftover brisket for your next batch of chili. It really makes some good stuff.
    JimW