Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket replacement

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's a hint for folks who are replacing the gaskets on their Egg... The replacement gasket comes with instructions to scrape the gasket off and use rubbing alcohol to remove the residue. That didn't work too well for me. After an hour of scraping and wiping with rubbing alcohol, I switched to Goo Gone, which cleaned everything up nicely in about 10 minutes. Keith

Comments

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Keith,[p]You're so right; alcohol just isn't any good on adhesives. Good hint.[p]Only question might be how long the lighter fluid smell sticks around, since I believe goo gone (or at least the common spray adhesive remover I have) is petroleum based.[p]It's probable a run up to temperature for 1/2 a load will clear out any smells that are left, if any.[p]best, HS

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Keith, the swabs is used for cleaning the surface before the gasket goes down, not so much to remove the deposits. I use a belt sander to clean off what the scraping did not. That way I have a nice white surface, then the swabs for the final clean.

• I had the dreaded flashback on my second cookout on the BGE and melted the gasket. Yep, I was one excited dude! I have applied acetone 4 times today and still can't get all of the adhesive off. I think I will head to the big orange box and get some of the goof off and give it a try. Any other suggestions other than a belt sander would be appreciated!. I have never used a belt sander and my new BGE probably woudn't be the best object to learn on! I have scraped with a putty knife and a razor scraper after applying the acetone. Thanks!
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I replaced my gasket while I was home before Christmas and used Goo Gone, my 4" grinder with a wire brush, then acetone and a rag to make sure it was clean. I had no petroleum smell left. I think the grinder with a brush worked very well. I took pitcures of the whole process but didn't get them posted. I will try again when I get back next week. I think a drill with a wire brush would help if you don't have a grinder. The gasket seems to have stuck very well, no leaks so far.
  • Thanks for the information. I used some goo gone today and it seems to help. I also used a wire brush and it almost seemed to be "scratching" the ceramic where the gasket goes. I think I will work on it some more with the goo gone tomorrow and then clean it up and give the new gasket a try. Thanks again!