Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Technique Question. Dependant on how many slabs?

Options
Topo Gigio
Topo Gigio Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]I have only done Ribs on the egg by using my rib rack. Usually it is because I want to optimize the cooking and fit more slabs on for more than just that nights dinner. I have only got a moist, tear clean off the bone, excellent end product once using this method.[p]In reading the forum I have come to this conclusion.
Do 2 slabs of ribs flat on the grid with the spritz and turning every 1 hour method for a moist product. (My next attemp will be using this method)[p]If doing more than 2 slabs, use a rib rack and spritz. Because of the verticality of the ribs the spritz doesn't set as well and the end product will be less moist. (Use of oil will help in the spritz). Therefore would it be better to do the 3-1-1 method for a moist end product when cooking more than 2 slabs?[p]Agree, disagree, comments on how to get a moist, tear clean off the bone end product when cooking more than 2 slabs of ribs at a time.[p]

Comments

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Adjustablerigslideroutgrid.jpg
    <p />Topo Gigio, with tjv's 3 tier rib setup you can do 6 racks of baby backs flat.[p]Adjustablerig2slidersextendergrid.jpg[p]This shows 4 racks, the middle one being beef ribs. [p]3tierribcook.jpg[p]I would not spritz every hour, that is opening the egg too often IMHO. The 3-1-1 works well, though when I do it now it's more like 3-45min-45min to 1hr. They get so done after 1 hr in the foil you can't flip them in the final hour without them falling apart. If you don't want to do the foil method, I wouldn't spritz in the first couple of hours, and maybe a little later in the cook. I've done baby backs without any spritzing that came out fine.

• Unknown
    Options
    RJH,
    I would love to have a set up like that for my medium. Where can I get one? Thanks.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    BabybackcookMarch4.jpg
    <p />Topo Gigio,
    Here are 4 racks done on two old grids put together with nuts & bolts. Good luck, Tom

• hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    RJH,
    whats the cost on a large one like that?

• RJH
    Options
    Dyehard, tjv makes them, but only for the large.
  • RJH
    Options
    hiloboy, I originally got Tom's Adjustable rig a while back, and then gave it to him at TX fest to get the mods you see here for the rib setup, so I paid for each separately with quite a while in between. So I'm not sure what it would cost now and don't want to throw a number out there for Tom. Best to contact him. Whatever, it's worth every penny!
  • Unknown
    Options
    RJH,[p]Now thats what I'm talking about!!! Who/what/how do I get one of those bad boys? new here, not sure who tjv is..[p]Thanks![p]Don
  • Unknown
    Options
    may have answered my own question did a forum search and found tom vogds, is this the correct person to contact? hope so, already sent him an e-mail!![p]Don

• RJH
    Options
    Don from NJ, he's the man.[p]Cheers
  • Unknown
    Options
    RJH,[p]thanks, shot him an e-mail last night, hopefully he gets it soon, i NEED one of those.. Only had my Egg since Wend night and i've cooked on it everynight but Thursday.