Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question on wine for Aju sauce

Options
Bushgator
Bushgator Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read on here a few times on making aju sauce for prime rib that you really need a good merlot wine. not being wine savvy, could someone educate me on what kind to buy and what price it should be around, I have read the grocery store wine is cheep and you should pay the extra $ for a good bottle to make a great aju. Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Bushgator,
    You can use any full-bodied red such as a Merlot or Burgundy for au jus. The old rule of not cooking with a wine you wouldn't drink, look for something in the $10-12 range. I've found wines under $10 to be inconsistent (or just plain bad all around), and I never pay more than $15 for a bottle unless it's a very special occasion. There are exceptions, of course. I'm not sure what's available in your area as far as specific wines go, but it's hard to go wrong with a $10 bottle, IMHO.