Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Brine

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had some pork chops that were between 1 1/2 an 2" thick. I followed SpiceCooks excellent " Thick grilled pork chops " recipe from the recipe section. Follwed the brine recipe exactly and let them soak for 3 hours in the fridge. Rinsed em off and patted dry followed by a light coating of honey and then topped with Charcrust hickory and mollasses. Onto the egg at 450° for about 16 minutes, then allowed to rest for about 5 mins and topped with orange marmalade. They came out very tender and juicy, the thicker one should have cooked for another 3 minutes or so, but it was raining so hard I believe if I had of opened the egg again it would have put the fire out..LOL..anyway these were by far the most juicy chops I ever cooked and I will definately be adding "brining" to my arsenal of tools and tricks..[p]Wess

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    WessB, Glad to hear it worked out. I'm having a brined pork loin tonight that I've been brining since Saturday night. My first time brining pork and am also excited to see the results. (vanilla brine) Even the raw eat and brine smells good..Painter
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    WessB,[p]That was a nice little soaker we go here yesterday -- we sent it over your way..hehehe[p]After 3 years I should do a brined "something". I have yet to brine anything, I must put that on the short list of things to try. My wife normally gets these Butterball turkey breasts, but they are already injected with juices so brining would add little (I am thinking). I never thought about doing the chops though. Honey and then Char-Crust. That's an interesting combo - did it burn more with the honey?[p]Tim
  • Painter
    Painter, (raw meat) need spell check

• WessB
    Painter,
    as stated this was only my first..but I was under the impression from reading that you DONT want to brine for to long or the meat will taste really salty.....hopefully other more eggsperienced briners will chime in here...good luck and enjoy..[p]Wess

• WessB
    Tim M,
    I wouldnt consider it to have been burned..I kinda prefer a little crust or bark so to speak although the bottom of the finished chop did come out somewhat crustier than the top...that was my whole thinking in adding the honey was to gain a crust of sorts, cant say I really tasted it at all. I more like rubbed it down with honey similar to how I do an olive oil coating, as everyone says just eggspreimentin..and we have decided we need an Eggzebo, and its getting added to my to do list, might even have to build it to hold a small egg also..good to hear from ya again..[p]Wess

• Painter
    WessB, I'm going the post I made yesterday, and I also hope it works
    Painter

[ul][li]bri[/ul]
  • WessB
    Painter,
    Thanks..that was a very good article..[p]Wess

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    WessB,[p]I consider a brine a cheap insurance policy for lean cuts of pork. If you overcook, brining will still give you a bigger window of juiciness to a point. I pretty much brine any boneless chicken breast or boneless loin chop that I cook. [p]Ashley