Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Plate For searing Steaks!

Options
Hoss's BBQ
Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well A friend of mine picked me up a round sizzle platter from Lodge for $9.00 when he was in Atlanta. SO I finally got the chance to use it last night. Put the plate directly on the coals.
Castironplatecook002.jpg[p] let it heat up for about ten minutes then threw the pepper crusted ribeyes on the plate turn out awesome!
Castironplatecook010.jpg
Castironplatecook014.jpg
Castironplatecook017.jpg

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ ,[p] What no Poivre et Bourbon!! What kind of Chef are you???[p]Looks good... You going to Tryon?[p]
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    121_2119.jpg
    <p />Hoss's BBQ , great looking steaks. Blackening ribeyes can really throw the smoke. It's a cool outdoor cook. Plus it gets the neighbors talking.......LOL[p]tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ ,
    nnnnnice.
    alton brown did a show (his first episode i think) where he did a ribeye INDOORS on a cast iron pan. nary a word about smoke. had to laugh. some poor dude is gonna do that indoors in his aprtment and smoke out the building.[p]one word of caution. i've encountered a few warnings about cast iron pans warping if they are on coals too long. i dunno. never happened to me, but my pans are OLD and thick walled. your pan may be a little thinner. might want to guard against too long over the coals. though at 9 bucks, not a big risk.[p]looks great, again.
    nice to have a chef showing us the ropes!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Actually I did a Ramp cognac cream sauce for the steaks. I am saving the picture of the complteted meal for woosday. Not making Tryon best of luck to you! June is the second busisest month for my hotel October is the really bad month. Hoss

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    tjv,
    That is one heck of a smoke cloud!!! You sure that is not from a leaf pile you set on fire with Napalm! Hoss

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    stike,
    Well I'll have to check the plate I just left it in the egg during cool down. These are really thick. I know they are the same that we use in one of our restauants in the pizza oven. I will go check though. Well not really trying to show you guys the ropes just like sharing with all of you and passing on some of the "Positive Energy" as Woodoggies likes to call it. Hoss

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ ,
    steak au poivre is one of my favorite cooks. sauce and all...[p]pretty simple cook, too.[p]i wouldn't worry about the pan, just wanted to relate the warning i have heard a few times. prob'ly ok.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante