Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow cooking Pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just cooked a Boston Butt for 6 hours @ 200 to 250 degrees and yet the outside was still pink even though the meat was done inside and still juicy. Is this a problem to eat?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Chris T. Akre,
    You didn't say what size the butt was. The last ones I did were 8 lbs and took 16 hours @ 250 dome temp. -RP

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Chris T. Akre,
    Welcome Chris.
    The outside is pink and that is good, it is called the smoke ring. Sounds kinda short for cook time but it could have been a small butt.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chris T. Akre,[p]Actually, the safe internal temperature for pork is quite low, so chances are you are covered. How big of a butt do you have? (on your Egg) Did it look done or did you measure the internal temperature? For butts that you want to slice, a good internal range is 165° to 180°. If you want pulled pork, take the internal above 195°.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AZRP,
    he's talkin about the smoke ring!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    Options
    stike,[p]I got a buck that sez he's not.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    Options
    thirdeye,
    i'll give you twenty bucks to explain how it can be done on the inside and raw on the outside....[p]

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC02578a.jpg
    <p />stike,[p]Let's wait for Chris to fill in the details on size as that may really clue all of us in. But look, he didn't say raw, he said pink. These are still pink and the internal is over 150° meaning they are done enough to eat.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    stike,
    6 hours at 1 1/2 per pound. Is about a small 4lber. I vote smoke ring.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Okay, do want some of that buck?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    Options
    thirdeye,
    the inside can not be done to a greater degree than the exterior. it is not possible.he said the interior was 'done'. [p]at any rate, if his exterior WERE not thouroughly cooked, it would not be possible for the interior to BE fully cooked.

• thirdeye
    Options
    stike,[p]Chris did not define "done", that is why I asked him the question about internal temp in my first reply. I didn't get the impression he was suggesting that the outside was not cooked. He just said it was pink.[p]From the nature of his question, I just have a gut feeling the man had a light color to the outside surface of his butt that he called "pink". And I don't think he was talking about the smoke ring.[p]So, are you in for any of this friendly action on the $1 or not?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Chris T. Akre,
    Needs to be 138 internal to be safe. Sounds more like cooked pork than pulled pork.