Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak and chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have relatives in town, and it looks like an impromptu grilling is in order. We have some steaks and chicken breasts that my wife wants me to cook. Can the breasts be cooked like steaks, with high temps and 3-3-dwell 5 or something like that?

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    choo choo,[p]As long as they are boneless and I prefer a simple brine for the boneless breast. The 3-3-5 is a good starting point for the average four to six ounce IQF boneless breast. The thicker the cut, the longer the dwell.[p]Zip
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    choo choo,
    You talking bone-in or boneless? I prefer to flatten the boneless variety, sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika and granulated garlic. 30 to 60 minutes later, toss them on around 500º, do something like 4 and 4.

• Unknown
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Breasts are bone-in. I may experiment with cooking them with the steaks and just check the internal temps to be safe. I usually do 750 degrees with steaks, 3-3-dwell 5 or so, subject to the thickness of the meat.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    choo choo,
    Just me, but I think bone-in would need lower temps to avoid burning befor the meat next to the bone is done. I would go more around 400 tops. That way they will be nicely browned and slightly charred when the internal hits 165.[p]Have fun! I am trying Mrs. Dog's Jerk for the first time tonight on some thighs.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    choo choo,
    I personally, have cooked steaks and boneless chicken breasts at the same time using the 700 degree searing temp and then closing the air vents for 4 minutes per side. You can cook them together.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I winged it and tried to sear-flip-dwell four strip steaks and six chicken breasts that had been soaking in Dale's, bone-in and skinless. Got the egg up to about 700 and went 3-3-4, a little longer dwell for the chicken.[p]Steaks, which I had sprinkled with Kosher salt and Montreal steak seasoning, were beautiful but done a little more than I had hoped (thicker steaks next time). Chicken breasts were charred a little too much, but were juicy and tasty. Still, I want the perfect cook for guests.