Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

pounding chicken

ChainsmokerChainsmoker Posts: 106
edited 11:05PM in EggHead Forum
Is there a good way to do it without making a mess? I've tried wrapping in wax paper but it tears and makes a mess anyway.

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Have you tried plastic wrap?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • CecilCecil Posts: 771
    Alton Brown has a method in which he spritzes chicken with water before pounding.
    Have fun!

• YBYB Posts: 3,861
    I have cooked shrimp stuffed chicken breast at 3 or 4 Eggtoberfest and I use a ziplock bag a large meat mallet and a cutting board.You can pound about 10 chicken breast using one bag...Hope this helps.

[ul][li]Shrimp Stuffed Chicken Breast[/ul]
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thats what I do.Put them in a plastic baggie grab a large wine bottle and pound away.No worries about the bag ripping like it will with wax paper.

• ChainsmokerChainsmoker Posts: 106
    The Naked Whiz,
    yep, tried suran wrap but nxt time will use ziploc

• BucketheadBuckethead Posts: 285
    Saran, and the bottom of the frying pan works great.
    Happy beating

• irishrogirishrog Posts: 375
    The trick is to sprinkle water inside a ziplock, or other strong plastic bag, before you put the chicken in. This helps the meat to slide along the surface as it stretches, and it is not forced. I use the flat side of a meat mallet as a pounder. Also wet the bag after each 2/3 breasts as the water will stick to the chicken meat when you take it out of the bag.