Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ist Brisket

Options
Luke Bizzy
Luke Bizzy Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was time for my first brisket. Got an 11 pounder from Sam's yesterday. Massaged a little DP Raising the Steaks in and let it get to room temp. I foiled both ends, and put it on, indirect with dome 250. Guru Pitminder set for 250. Cook was initiated at 3:30 yesterday afternoon. 7 hours later it plateaued at 182 degrees internal. Someone posted earlier about the potential for a loooong dwelling time. You were spot on. It's 10 am and the collagen breakdown is just now beginning to happen as meat temp has started rising. It's going to be outstanding. Will pull at 200, foil and rest in a warm cooler until chow time.[p]Had I not read another post about long plateau times, I would have gotten discouraged. Thanks to all who coach us novices patiently along on this forum, sometimes repeating stuff over and over. I have benefited tons since coming on board here. Mercí.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Luke Bizzy,[p]What, no pictures??? LOL. Your timing was good. Some cooler time is always good.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Luke Bizzy,[p] Collagen breakdown is compete. Temp won't rise till it is. Now you are going for tender :)[p]Don't forget to separate the point and put it back in for another couple hours. Burnt Ends are the best part of a good brisket cook.[p]You certainly have a choice of which rubs to use on what, but next time try cowlick..
  • Luke Bizzy
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Didn't get to your reply before we put the chomps to it. Next time I'll separate them, like you said. Wound up at 19 hrs on the egg. It was a fine cook and quite tender. I'm a happy egger. Thanks CW and thirdeye for your replys.

• Luke Bizzy
    Options
    thirdeye, will post pics on the next cook, if I can remember.