Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Butt Help Please!

Options
Jason
Jason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I started an 8.71 lb butt yesterday at 6:45 PM. After only 11.5 hrs (it is now 6 am) the internal meat temp is already 195 F. I want to eat around Noon. What should I do?[p]Jason.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Jason,
    I have only done a couple of butts, so hopefully others will chime in here, but I would reduce the dome temp, leave it on until about 210, pull it and foil it and put it in a cooler with several layers of towels and even newspapers wrapped around it. It will have no trouble staying safe, warm and wonderful, until noon. If you are worried, you could preheat the cooker with some heated bricks or rocks, wrapped in towels.[p]

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Jason,[p]Put 3 cups of water on the stove to boil.
    Pull the butt and double wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil or triple wrap in regular foil.
    Put a towel in the bottom of a cooler.
    Pour the boiling water on the towel.
    Put a dry towel on top of the damp and steaming towel.
    Put the butt on top of the dry towel.
    Pack a third towel around and over the butt.
    Close the cooler.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Jason....[p]I just did the SAME thing....Started 2 butts yesterday evening....and pulled the off at6:30 a.m. this morning....and will eat this evening....[p]I pulled the pork...and put it in a covered aluminum container....so as not to dry out....Will let cool naturally over the next few hours....then will refrigerate.....I will heat my BBQ sauce....pour it over and mix into the pulled pork....re-heat in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes and we'll be ready to go.......[p]No worries.....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Ken
    Ken Posts: 24
    Options
    Jason,
    Take it off at 200,wrap it tightly in foil,run hot water in your ice chest to get it really warm,dry it out,wrap a towel around the foiled butt and place it in the warm cooler and add some more towels on top of that and it will sill be real warm at noon ....about 150 F You'll be fine if you do this.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Michael B,[p] Use that boiling water in the cooler before you add the meat. Pour it out and dry the cooler. DO NOT pour it on the meat. You risk contaminating the product.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Jason,[p] 6:45PM was way early to put that pork on. It takes between 1-2 hours per pound to cook a pork butt (or brisket). The actual time depends on the amount of fat, bone and connective tissue. Car Wash Mike mentioned the cook would take 12-14 hours. [p] When I compete I will typically cook two 7-8 pound butts and figure 1.5 hours per pound. I typically put the butts on around 11PM at 250 indirect for the 1PM turn-in.[p] Around 11PM the next day or when the reach 195 internal they go into a cooler to rest for a while. Hopefully by now you have yours in the cooler.
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Is that 250 grate temp? The last two 8 lb. butts I have done at 250 dome have taken 17 and 18 hours. They came out great, but if I had planned for 1.5 hrs./lb., I'd have been out of luck.
    Thanks

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    uncbbq,[p] We always talk dome here unless otherwise specified. [p] I have cooked quite a few butts over the years and never had one take more then 12-13 hours to cook. I know I hear ya'll talk about the 24 hour cooks, but I am still waiting..
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    pulledpork.jpg
    <p />Jason,
    The good news is, you won't have guests waiting around to eat. I'm sure you have wrapped that in foil, towel and placed in a cooler by now. I would pull that thing out around 10ish, pull and put in a pan. Add sauce, maybe a little coke cola put back on egg around 11 at a low temp to keep warm. You did great.[p]Mike

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Jason,[p]Can't say I didn't say so....

• BYC
    Options
    BYC,[p]Jason just clarify that cook was going way too fast from the beginning. Granted you probably put on early but the temps you hit by 11 were right ontrack for your actual completion time. Think there was something else going on. I posted the below last night. Just wanted to point out for next time..
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/376555.shtml[/ul]
  • BYC
    Options
    Jason,[p]Were your butts boneless?[p]Still pondering..