Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pork Chops

edited 5:41AM in EggHead Forum
I am gonna cook some chops tonight. They are about 1.25 inches thick . I plan on rubbing them with JJ's rub and cooking at 350 or so direct heat until internal temp is 160. Does this sound right?

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,508
    KR,
    If you are going by internal temp, I would not go over 150. I usually pull at 145 for ultimate moistness. 160 will almost certainly be on the dry side. Your plan sounds fine otherwise! They can also be cooked like steaks....hot and fast sear, and dwell to 145 internal.[p]Have a blast.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ZipZip Posts: 372
    Nature Boy,[p]A simple brine for about one and a half hours would be the only thing different that I'd do.[p]zip

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,508
    Zip,
    That works very nicely. I have used Spice Cooks brine several times. It is almost necessary on those super-lean loin chops. Man those loin chops can be lean.[p]The fattier bone-in chops seem to do well without the brine. I did some loin chops the other day without the brine, and it was pretty uneventful.[p]Cheers to you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip,
    If I decide to brine. What is your recommended brine mixture
    ?[p]KR

• ZipZip Posts: 372
    KR,
    I like it simple. Try 1/4 cup kosher salt and two tablespoons sugar to each quart of water. You can add spices, but I like to spice the exterior to get a good crust.[p]Zip