Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple juice question

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going to marinate my beef ribs in pineapple juice overnight and then someone warned me that the pineapple juice will cook the meat. I then poured the pineapple juice off. [p]My question is, the ribs at the bottom of the pan were still sitting in some of the juice. Are these ribs ruined?[p]Thanks...
...AnnaG...

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]Shouldn't be, cook them like you were going to and do the taste test! Pineapple, lemon and lime and probably some others have a tendency to cook meat. The Spanish seviche is one that comes to mind. Happy cooking!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    AnnaG,[p] If they were bone down probably will be OK. Ribs really don't need to be marinated. Not sure if it really does much for ribs anyway. [p] About two hours before cooking put a generous amount of your favorite rub on them and let them sit in the refrigerator till ready too cook.
  • Tiburon
    Tiburon Posts: 42
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]I doubt it. The high acid content could change the texture a little but I bet they all get eaten and the cook complimented. . Fire up the grill, relax and enjoy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    AnnaG,
    the pineapple juice has enzymes that tenderize the meat by breaking down the protein structure. if you marinate too long, the meat becomes mushy.
    a lot of recipes will say not to marinate over 4 hours.[p]i'd say cook them and see what happens. they most likely firm up while they cook if you don't add any more juice.

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Thanks everybody... I just got back from Sam's with replacements, just in case, you said they were ruined.[p]I will give them a try...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• rex clingan
    rex clingan Posts: 57
    Options
    Freshly squeezed pineapple juice does strange things to raw meat. Tried it on some chicken breasts and they developed the texture of beef liver.[p]Canned juice is similar to other acidic juices in action. I believe the bromelain is deactivated.[p]I have used a (canned) pineapple juice marinade on skirt steak many times. It really needs a day or two to work its juju.