Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Freak Out

neweggerart
neweggerart Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to serve a 4.68 lb. Brisket this afternoon, 5-6 PM. It is my first brisket. Dry rub all night. Put on at 7:45AM because everything says it could take 2 hours or more per pound. But, internal temperature is already creaping into the 70's at dome 240. I am freaking out that it will be done way, way too soon. Any ideas out there?

Comments

• neweggerart,
    Don't worry I think you will be fine. It will stall out when it reaches the plateau and will seem to just stop for a while. If it does reach 195 or 200 early wrap it in foil and then some towels or blankets and place in a cooler to rest for at least a couple of hours. It needs this time for the juices to redistribute and to tenderize. Good luck Bucky

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    neweggerart,[p]The meat will hit a temperature plateau at about 160, and stay there for hours. I've had briskets reach 160 in less than two hours, and not break 180 until another 6 (or more) have passed. As things stand now, you're fine.[p]gdenby

• neweggerart,[p]Don't worry about it being done too soon! That thing could take 12 hours ...if you see it "stall" ... raise your dome temp and/or foil it inside the egg because I did 5 lb point yesterday and it took 12 hours! If it gets done early, pull, foil and stash in cooler or your "turned off" oven to hold it'll be fine.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    neweggerart,[p]This sounds like a trimmed flat given that weight. You probably will finish early and, no, it probably won't take 2 hrs/lb. Take dome down a tiny bit...not much. When it hits your target temp (and it WILL sit at plateau for a while), just wrap it in foil and then a beach towel. You can keep it for HOURS that way and it will be hot and juicy. You never want to serve one right off the egg anyway. Much better to have it done early than late.[p]mShark
  • neweggerart
    neweggerart Posts: 14
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,[p]Thanks so much to you and the others. My brisket is sitting at 149, 21/2 hours into the cook...I suspect now, if anything, I may need more time, or will foil at the end and kick up egg few degrees to pull off by 5 and serve 6-7 PM...We'll see how long to go to 195.